Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 11:23   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
I could use some ideas to re-rig or re block my main sheet.

First, let me point out that I don't plan owning this boat for more than another season or two so any potential solution needs to remain cost effective.

With that being said here's the issue. The previous owner re-ran the main sheet backwards through the traveler block, back to a bock set up between the vang and the mast, thence to a cheek block on top of the cabin, then to a cam cleat at the cockpit.

I didn't like and ran it back as original. I've lived with it for a month and see the wisdom of what he did. As originally run the sheet is always in a pile in the companionway and it has a tendency to be pulled up out of its cam on its own.

I've re-run it back as I found it. The problem with the system is the friction.

The primary culprit is the block between the vang and the mast. It is out of line with the sheet and the sheet is rubbing on the cheek of the block. Likewise with the block on the deck.

Does anybody know of a type of block that can help feed the line into the sheave when line of travel isn't straight?

I have no idea what the previous owner was think with the orientation of the cam at the cockpit. I already know that I want to replace that with this.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/ronrf67...hoC46EQAvD_BwE

Thanks for your ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main sheet at deck level.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	221480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Main sheet at cam.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	221481  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Main sheet at mast.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	221482  
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 11:46   #2

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36
Re: I could use some ideas to re-rig or re block my main sheet.

What about securing a swivelling block to the mast with a strap, beneath the vang fitting? It looks like that would improve the lead to the cheek block on the cabin top and you wouldn't have a conflict with the lead angle for the vang.

Looking at it, you already have the block right there. Just disconnect the two blocks. Connect the vang block directly to the hole on the vang mast fitting (via a swivel), then secure the other block beneath it with a strap, or a strap leading to a soft shackle or something.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 20:16   #3

Re: I could use some ideas to re-rig or re block my main sheet.

What he said.

You have identified the problem, the mainsheet turning block does not get a fair lead, the vang is pulling it out of line.

Try re-arranging your fittings slightly,

from the mast, short shackle, on that shackle the swivel then the vang block. The swivel may need to go in the block strap rather than around the rivet as the long D is currently.

also from the short shackle the mainsheet turning block.

I can't make out from the picture how the turning block is currently attached to the swivel but there should be no issue with load on the mast fitting nor the short shackle with two blocks attached. I would loose the snap shackle unless you use it to detach the vang?

Once the turning block is free to align naturally it should be fair to the cheek block as well. Not ideal to have two loads on one shackle but the direction of pull is 30-45 degrees apart so the blocks shouldn't foul each other.
tanngrisnir is offline   Reply With Quote