Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2022, 11:32   #1

Boat: Pearson Alberg 35
Ideas for deck layout

Hello everyone.

A few months ago I aquired an Alberg 35. I am currently fixing up and remodeling it with the intention of solo sailing.

Enter my current delima.

I am trying to figure out how to rig the lines topside back to the cockpit. But there is a hatch right in front of where the lines would come back and the sliding top cover for the entrance from the cockpit covers the other side.

Now I'm not really sure what I can do here without removing the hatch so the lines can go there.

I attached some pictures for reference. Any idea or recommendations would be very appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220102_190438008.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	250672   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220102_190447753.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	250673  

Airias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 03:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Ideas for deck layout

By desiring an unnecessary complication, you have created an artificial problem. Keep the lines at the mast. It is a myth that you can handle all the lines for everything from the cockpit. You can't. Inevitably you'll have to go forward, and if it's your habit to do so, so much the better.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:28   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, Airias.

What Benz said.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:40   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
By desiring an unnecessary complication, you have created an artificial problem. Keep the lines at the mast. It is a myth that you can handle all the lines for everything from the cockpit. You can't. Inevitably you'll have to go forward, and if it's your habit to do so, so much the better.
^^^^
+1.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:39   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

That still leaves you with some design issues. First would be the running rigging for the jib, which is easy enough down each side, assumedly to a winch.

Will you have roller furling for the jib? That's a second task that reasonably can be handled from the cockpit, again down one side.

But then, consider how to rig a central jack line so that you can safely go forward while single handed. That line needs to have a minimum number of attachments, such that you don't have to clip off and then clip on numerous times. It needs to hold you close enough that you won't end up hanging by your belt over the side, unable to climb back on board. It needs to stay clear of the main sail running rigging.

Ben's right; there's no point in trying to run halyards to the cockpit, but I think you still have some design work ahead of you.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:03   #6

Boat: Pearson Alberg 35

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.
Airias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:28   #7

Boat: Regina 43

Invest in some granny bars and a good jackline from the cockpit to make working at the mast pleasurable and safe and enjoy the boat you have.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:25   #8

Belatedly, but yes! Benz has stated the matter succinctly in post #2!

The Alberg 35 predates the current fashions of roller furling and "all lines aft" which have been propagated by the glossy magazines as a means of filling the otherwise empty spaces between adverts. She is designed to sail well and handle well without such devices.

Remember that for each and every turn of a line through a turning block, let alone a fairlead, you increase the friction and therefore the pull required to handle the line. Inevitably this must lead to the a situation exemplified by the famed oozly-woozly bird. Friction is your enemy!

Her side decks are wide enough to be negotiated comfortably and safely while wearing a harness clipped on to a jackline. Hour house top is spacious enuff to offer secure footing when you stand there and work along the boom as you must when you secure the nettles when reefing. One little matter you WILL need to grow accustomed to is the proximity of the Dorade boxes to the foot of the mast. They can trip you up, so, as Benz also points out, implicitly at least, part of the trick is to develop habits that are appropriate for your particular boat.

She is big enough (if only just) that if you don't trust your footing or seamanship on deck, you can fit what Americans call "sissy bars" (I believe) - a pulpit at each side of the foot of the mast into which you can lodge your bum securely while working at the mast and therefore have both hands free to do the work. Her foredeck in big enough and unobstructed enough that you can work securely within the confines of the pulpit and her forestay comes to the stem-head so you never need to reach outside the pulpit.

She is a boat that will balance beautifully provided your sail trim (and the amount of canvas you wear) is correct for the conditions obtaining, she will stay her course for many minutes without attention to the tiller. She is not amenable to a tiller comb but you can overcome that simply by laying a bit of light stuff around the tiller with a clove hitch and taking the falls through a simple fairlead with cam cleat fitted on the inboard side of each cockpit coaming.

All in all, you will save yourself much aggravation and much money if you do not permit yourself to fall prey to the fleeting fashions.

Cultivez la simplicité!

May you have many happy years of cruising in such a wonderful boat :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck