Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 12:24   #1

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter
Identify type of turnbuckle

I have some unusual turnbuckles on the Endeavor 35 that I will be closing on tomorrow. The Surveyor thought someone might have doubled them up to extend the shrouds or something, but I don't think so, these aren't double, but have two barrels with one center adjusting thread. Do any of you have any thoughts about these?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1452111360
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turnbuckle.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	116295  
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:29   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Identify type of turnbuckle

Those are not odd, just becoming uncommon. I can't remember the manufacturer off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:59   #3

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter

Thanks, Sail monkey, any thoughts on whether one type has advantages over another?
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 13:04   #4

Boat: Westsail28

NAVTEC. need a rigger or accesss to roller swager to replace.
quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 13:09   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

IMHO it's a matter of taste

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 13:27   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

They are Navtec turnbuckles. An inside out design compared to the most common Meriman type. Hope they solved the problem but I had severe cracking issues with these turnbuckles ago sailing in SoPac. Navtec was very good about replacing the turnbuckles but still had issues with the replacements. To be fair to Navtec, this was when they were first introduced in the '70s and probably was a dissimilar metal issue between the threaded center section and the outer barrels.

Personally don't like the design because they are swage only. The more standard turnbuckle with a center barrel and threaded pin outers allow you to use Norsman/StaLok/HiMod ends or swage ends and either a threaded or jaw wire connection.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 13:31   #7

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Oldguy View Post
I have some unusual turnbuckles on the Endeavor 35 that I will be closing on tomorrow. The Surveyor thought someone might have doubled them up to extend the shrouds or something, but I don't think so, these aren't double, but have two barrels with one center adjusting thread. Do any of you have any thoughts about these?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1452111360
They're NAVTEC turnbuckles and they are crazy expensive!! Just replacing the upper swage (when you replace the wire) costs more than a complete new conventional turnbuckle!! I have a Ketch rig full of them! they're ALL being replaced with convetional open bodied turnbuckles for the same cost!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 14:29   #8

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
They are Navtec turnbuckles. An inside out design compared to the most common Meriman type. Hope they solved the problem but I had severe cracking issues with these turnbuckles ago sailing in SoPac. Navtec was very good about replacing the turnbuckles but still had issues with the replacements. To be fair to Navtec, this was when they were first introduced in the '70s and probably was a dissimilar metal issue between the threaded center section and the outer barrels.

Personally don't like the design because they are swage only. The more standard turnbuckle with a center barrel and threaded pin outers allow you to use Norsman/StaLok/HiMod ends or swage ends and either a threaded or jaw wire connection.

Pete,
I have Navtecs presently on my boat. They are ten years old(2005). The turnbuckle is stainless steel and the threaded rod is bronze. I also understand they offer nickel plated on some models and bronze turnbuckles on the larger sizes. The threaded rod can be pinned at the ends for security. They are easy and quick to tune. I have never had any issues with them. Best, Rognvald
Old 06-01-2016, 15:20   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Those turnbuckles are most commonly run with rod rigging. The stuff run on racing boats, ergo the price. You can get them & parts for them at the bigger, high end rigging shops. LMK if you need POC's.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 15:23   #10

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Those turnbuckles are most commonly run with rod rigging. The stuff run on racing boats, ergo the price. You can get them & parts for them at the bigger, high end rigging shops. LMK if you need POC's.
Uncivilized,
I have standard wire rigging. Best, Rognvald
Old 06-01-2016, 15:55   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Uncivilized,
I have standard wire rigging. Best, Rognvald
Roger that. But if you go & pull up any pics of how rod is setup, you'll see that all of the components in that pic match up exactly, but for the top assembly, swaged onto the wire. And said assembly looks much the same on boats with rod, only that they don't have the extra length above the threads for a swage, but rather there's a cavity into wich the lower cold head on the rod fits into.

I'm to beat right now to dig up any image links at the moment, but I've got no reason to pull your leg.
Though of course, I could be wrong, & this is something entirely different, which yet is compatible (at least visually so it appears) with all of the rest of the bits which you'd use to rig a boat with rod.
Odds are Lewmar/Navtec will have a pic, & if not them, then one of the shops which carries their stuff will have one.

Honestly, it's a goofy setup if you ask me. But sometimes boats get rigged up the way the ones in the pic in this thread are, because thoso someone had those kinds of parts on a shelf in the shop gathering dust, when it came time to put the rig together... and, poof, an over priced, faux gucci cruiser is born.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:59   #12

definitely old navtec
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:05   #13

Boat: Ontario32

Yes, they are Navtec rods n turnbuckles, have ten of them on my boat. I am not a rigger but I go over them each year and cycle the rods through the turnbuckles with white lithium grease. They are only 39 years new, and the rods are available still.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:12   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Skylark came with Navtec turnbuckles and after 40 years, the bronze rods were pitted. I bought eight new bronze threaded rods in two sizes, then when I rebuilt the standing rigging, I went with standard double forked bronze and stainless turnbuckles.

I still have the nearly new hardly used Navtec threaded rods if any one is interested, PM me.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:20   #15

Yep Navtec. Had them originally on my Passport 47. (wire) When I rerigged I went with Chromed Bronze traditional style. IIRC Navtec are all stainless....?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote