Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2024, 13:55   #1

Boat: SEAHAWK 48 ketch
Im not sure why?

New boat to me 48' Ketch. It was left in a state of "disrepair" with stack packs broken/unzipped birds nests and disgusting sails. I removed all sails and had them repaired and cleaned. When I got them back and bent them on ,the zipper on the mizzen boom had not been fixed/still ripped apart and blown out. after a little trying to have who was suppose to have done it /finish the job, I decided to just take if off and sew a new zipper on myself. I have a question....The main sail is loose footed and not attached to the stack pack/lazy jacks, however the mizzens is. They both have track and external stainless sail slides but both sail and stack pack on the mizzen are attached together. is there a reason for one done like this and not.the other? I plan to repair the zipper and only attach the stack pack to the track unless this would be the most idiotic thing that I have ever done...........Thank you all..
Bmorgan562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2024, 14:56   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Im not sure why?

When we first got our present boat, we had a new mainsail made, and a boom bag that attached to the boom via sail slugs that slid in, and was uphauled to the bottom spreaders. It required to be lowered, so that the sail battens wouldn't snag on the halyards for the bag during hoisting. All in all, I think you'll be okay. There are lots of different designs for boom bags, and I think Stak-Pak is a brand name, with particular characteristics. One solution among many, to the problem of controlling sails tidily.

Concerning the zipper. Of course you can replace it. In your shoes, if you want it to stay good for years, if there isn't enough excess fabric to completely cover the zipper teeth (I've used YKK # 10 for main sail bags and on-deck stowage bags), the trick is to make a flap that completely covers the zip. The other trick is to fabricate the bag using ptfe thread, which will last the life of the acrylic canvas.

Ann
Old 29-06-2024, 19:18   #3

Boat: SEAHAWK 48 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
When we first got our present boat, we had a new mainsail made, and a boom bag that attached to the boom via sail slugs that slid in, and was uphauled to the bottom spreaders. It required to be lowered, so that the sail battens wouldn't snag on the halyards for the bag during hoisting. All in all, I think you'll be okay. There are lots of different designs for boom bags, and I think Stak-Pak is a brand name, with particular characteristics. One solution among many, to the problem of controlling sails tidily.

Concerning the zipper. Of course you can replace it. In your shoes, if you want it to stay good for years, if there isn't enough excess fabric to completely cover the zipper teeth (I've used YKK # 10 for main sail bags and on-deck stowage bags), the trick is to make a flap that completely covers the zip. The other trick is to fabricate the bag using ptfe thread, which will last the life of the acrylic canvas.

Ann
Thank you once again Ann, I was just using stack pack as a general name. I don’t think it is. But they definitely do not have the flap to cover the zipper. Makes great sense if I was constructing my own. Still waiting for the zipper from sailrite. I actually purchase a number 12. Idk. Hopefully it will work out. I seem to remember it has added material along it with to sew. Thanks.
Bmorgan562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2024, 19:36   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

if you choose to, you can retro-fit a "flap" The finished side needs to be about 1-1/2" wide, by the length of the zip, plus whatever you select for the seam allowance. (You don't want to stitch over the stitches for the zip, but just outside them.) I've not used #12, and it may be wider than the #10 that I have used, so might want to go 2", if you do it. You'd have to allow enough extra to hem it, also, although a 1/4" hem would be adequate.

I don't know if you're aware of it or not, but you can buy "basting tape" to help hold that stiff cloth in place while you sew it. SailRite sells it, and is also available sometimes from canvas shops.

Ann