Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2019, 10:08   #1

Boat: Gib'Sea 402 1988
In-boom furling

I have Gib'sea 402 (1988) and intend to convert to in-boom furling. There are several makes available. Which is the most reliable? I would like to hear from people who have made the conversion and been satisfied with it.
Rualda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 22:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Re: In-boom furling

As a sailmaker who makes a lot of sails for furling booms. I would only choose leisure furl. So many of them have problems.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 23:40   #3

Thank you for your advice. I have already noted a preference for Leisure Furl by Forespar. Your comment reinforces it.
Old 20-10-2019, 13:51   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’ve had my boat for five years, it has a Profurl.
Other than bolt rope wear on the sail I’ve had no problems, and even that wear isn’t that big a deal, I’ve had to trim a couple inches off in five years. I guess if I ever get to a foot trimmed off, I’ll have it replaced, but likely will be replacing the sail by then.

I think boom furling is like anything else, you need to learn how that system works, it’s strengths and weaknesses and operate or within those limits, and not be determined to use it like some other system.

I bet there was no end of complaining by people with hanked on head sails about how many problems there was with roller furling, now that it’s mainstream and people learn roller furling, there is no issue anymore.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 14:30   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 47

I have not used other types but can vouch for the quality and ease of use of the Forespar LeisureFurl boom. After using it in many conditions and taking it apart and working on it I have been pleased with the engineering and quality of the construction.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 15:02   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I crewed on a delivery for a boat equipped with a LeisureFurl. It was finicky and anything to do with reefing, furling or unfurling required someone at the mast to make sure it was in the sail track and feeding at the correct tension. It took 2 people and 10-15 minutes each adjustment. OK it's just one data point, I admit.

I'd never get one of those -- IMHO the best choice is full-battens, stacking cover and lazyjacks. That combination with slab reefing using ball-bearing blocks at the turning points, all lines led aft. Easy and quick, and reliable.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 15:41   #7

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I crewed on a delivery for a boat equipped with a LeisureFurl. It was finicky and anything to do with reefing, furling or unfurling required someone at the mast to make sure it was in the sail track and feeding at the correct tension. It took 2 people and 10-15 minutes each adjustment. OK it's just one data point, I admit.

I'd never get one of those -- IMHO the best choice is full-battens, stacking cover and lazyjacks. That combination with slab reefing using ball-bearing blocks at the turning points, all lines led aft. Easy and quick, and reliable.
As an owner of a mono fitted with a leisure furl I can say that I have only experienced a jam once, the result of the topping lift slipping slightly and allowing the angle of the boom to change, other than that I can furl, reef etc single handed in whatever weather I find myself.
The experience detailed above has not been my experience.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 06:55   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

Also as far as I know forespar are the US leisure furl agents, but they are still made in NZ? KZ marine in NZ are the people who sell them also, so if your outside the US you could also consider contacting them. The luff rope from KZ lasts a lot longer than the one Forespar supply.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 00:55   #9

Thank you. My boat is in Greece at Aktio. The next step is to find what is available and who can carry out the work.

Tags
furling