Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2014, 19:23   #16

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: In boom reefing padeye positioning

My reefing system also has padeyes to secure the bitter end of the reefing lines. I previously tried a bowline around the boom but was unable to control out haul tension. The loop around the boom tended to move forward rather than remaining aft of the reefing cringle. This method just did not work for me.

For those who use bowlines or other "floating" reefing lines, how do you keep proper tension on the outhaul when reefed?
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 19:47   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Generally speaking, I run the reefing line around the boom, & then tie a bowline (or use a soft shackle) around the part of the line which is heading north, for the ring. Or if that doesn't cut it, then a couple of wraps around the boom & then tie the bowline around the bit headed north.
Generally speaking, unless you're running something like uncoated spectra, the friction of the loop constricting should hold things in place.
Hope that makes sense.

As to some of my above comments in my other posts, my apologies if my temper got a bit hot.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 21:19   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
For those who use bowlines or other "floating" reefing lines, how do you keep proper tension on the outhaul when reefed?
I use end of boom reefing with the lines tied around the boom. I can get any foot shape I need by cranking on the reef outhaul winch. The bit tied around the boom can wander while not reefed. While this does not create any serious problem it is not quite ship-shape and sometimes there is creep and unwanted wear on the sail as it creeps back to under the cringle. Way way better than the old cheek block system.

My boom has cutouts along it's length. I lightly tie a bit of small line thru these cutouts to hold the reef line in position. Other methods could work as well.

Another tip: There can be quite a lot of wear on the reefing line during a long crossing. As a breakage is a major disaster - ruining the mainsail - I have come to do two things.

First, I tie the new reef clew down to the boom if I will be reefed for a while. If something breaks the sail won't go far and the reef points won't tear thru the sail.

Second, I use very low stretch (expensive) reefing lines to prevent motion at the cringle and noise in general. But I don't want any wear on these lines. So the lines end in an eye splice thru which is looped a sacrificial spectra line. This spectra is tied around the boom so it takes the wear at the cringle. Also spectra does not make noise on the boom or damage the sail cloth as the sail works. The line goes around the boom in a sort of one-turn prussic slip knot, the ends tied together with a doubled figure-eight knot. At the boom end. The loop of the outhaul line and spectra strop run thru the cringe (and even the sheaves sometimes) without issues. It is not a high strength way to attach two lines but the loads are not high - it is the stretch and wear that must be controlled.

I didn't figure this out all on my own. Credit goes to friends along the way that actually know what they are doing.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote