Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 08:13   #16

Boat: 1975 Pearson 35
Re: In-Mast Main Jamming Regularly

I too am just figuring out my in mast system, sounds about right from what I've learnned so far, I have had a few small binds, just roll in a few inches then out again has worked them out, I just pull by hand, but I just have a ~250 sf main.
I have learned that I have to keep reabjusting the outhaul traveler as I furl in, it is less nessesry to do so on the way out, may be different on others, and it rolls up better if there is some wind to keep it full,
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 13:44   #17

Boat: Oyster 46

This thread was very helpful in resolving a furling issue on a Hylas 54 with Selden in-mast furling today. Somewhat out of the blue, the furling became difficult with the 50 amp breaker tripping repeatedly. After much halyard adjustment and outhaul fussing, we noticed that the mast had retained a bit of backward bend from a prior day's backstay adjustment even though the Captain believed (correctly) that all hydraulic backstay tension had been slacked.

Apparently not entirely because a few turns later on the backstay turnbuckles and all furling difficulties disappeared.

A visit to the rigging shop is planned at the next cruising stop (City Island NY-suggestions welcome) for counsel.

crew S/V Caris
mjsalisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:29   #18

Unless you've tried to furl your main in a big blow you haven't even scratched the surface!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:41   #19

Boat: Beneteau 473

I agree with all previous posts. The furling main on my Beneteau 473 is great. When I unfurl the sail i need to make sure there is no main sheet or vang tension on the boom. It comes our very easily and I have changed to a verticle batten main. When furling I keep tension on the outhaul such that the sail is flat going in. I have never had a jam.
Tayzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 06:02   #20

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau

Thank you all....the "constantly jamming" issue is resolved. I tried several of your recommendations made in this thread and the issue disappeared when I raised the boom end about six inches. Apparently my main sheet "down" tension and perpendicular mast/boom angle was sufficient to induce several sail wrinkles which jammed inside the mast while unfurling.

Since making this boom adjustment, I have been making all main sail changes entirely by hand..no winch handle needed. Hooray!

Thank you for your advice.

Bill
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 06:25   #21

S/V Caris,

As I mentioned above, mast bend (on my last boat PO set pre-bend) can be the sneaky culprit in hard to diagnose furling mainsail problems. Glad you found it.

Strong recommendation for you to contact Doyle Ploch Sails in City Island. Mark Ploch has a lot of experience with big mainsail furlers. Including Hylas.

Doyle Ploch Sails

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast