Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 01:44   #31

Re: In-Mast Main Sail Hydraulic furling system

Hi Moody Mike,
Me again. Yes, it’s still seized.
Can you explain how that turnbuckle works? Is it anchored at the bolt I can see going through the mast about 2ft below the boom? Does the cable go right through to the top of the mast? What would happen if I loosen it too far? I’m hoping to anchor the collar that is attached to the furler to stop it dropping. In doing this I should be able to unseize the bearing block by pushing it down, after removing the gear under the block, while the collar stays up. I don’t want anything to drop out of the bearing at the top of the mast. This should seperate the block from the top collar with some gentle persuasion then hopefully pull it out of the mast to work on.
What do you think?
I don’t suppose you have any diagrams? Pushing the friendship, I know.
Glenn
GlennRiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:42   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Mike View Post
Ready to pull the masts everything is disconnected we have left one winch & halyard on each mast for the rigger to attach the lifting sling. When the boom mount was removed the furler dropped down & had to be pulled up with a halyard & tied off.
Hi Mike,
Good to see your progress.
I’ve added to the chat but not sure if I need to “quote” for you to see my long list of questions.
Glenn
Old Today, 04:11   #33

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennRiv View Post
Hi Moody Mike,
Me again. Yes, it’s still seized.
Can you explain how that turnbuckle works? Is it anchored at the bolt I can see going through the mast about 2ft below the boom? Does the cable go right through to the top of the mast? What would happen if I loosen it too far? I’m hoping to anchor the collar that is attached to the furler to stop it dropping. In doing this I should be able to unseize the bearing block by pushing it down, after removing the gear under the block, while the collar stays up. I don’t want anything to drop out of the bearing at the top of the mast. This should seperate the block from the top collar with some gentle persuasion then hopefully pull it out of the mast to work on.
What do you think?
I don’t suppose you have any diagrams? Pushing the friendship, I know.
Glenn
Hi Glenn
It's anchored to the bottom of the mast & through the mast head you have to remove the pin through the mast head if you want to pull it out. It won't fall down if you loosen the turnbuckle. The bush that is stuck has an alloy center that turns in a nylon bush. The nylon expands with age & the alloy corrodes & also expands binding the two together. You may have to pull your mast off lay it down & remove the fuller it's not that difficult. I just pulled both my masts off . I am replacing all the rigging including the stay inside the mast the fuller spins on .
I have a video of my main mast reassembled after painting. The rigger turned down the alloy centre & sleeved in it stainless Steel so it can corrode & expand he made a new bush out of engineering plastic. I am trying to load a video.
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:19   #34

Thanks Mike.
Old Today, 04:22   #35

Hi Glenn
What type of yacht is it ? Where are you located?
I can't find my manual for the Stoway only the front page. My video didn't load tried a couple of times maybe find me on FB look for Carbineer Appreciation page . I have videos there & you could message me.
Mike
Old Today, 04:24   #36

Nicholson 32 from 1965. I’m on the NSW Central Coast.
Old Today, 04:39   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennRiv View Post
Nicholson 32 from 1965. I’m on the NSW Central Coast.
You're just down the road I'm in Ballina . Is yours an Australian built Nicholson ? It probably has a Furlway mast not a Stoway . I just found out mine is a Furlway they are a copy of the Stoway but more simple.
Old Today, 04:42   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody Mike View Post
You're just down the road I'm in Ballina . Is yours an Australian built Nicholson ? It probably has a Furlway mast not a Stoway . I just found out mine is a Furlway they are a copy of the Stoway but more simple.
Yes. Built in Brookvale. Furler looks the same as yours.
Old Today, 04:43   #39

Should be an easy mast to drop my rigger on the Gold Coast can fix the bearing if you get it out .
Old Today, 04:46   #40

The Furlway masts were built here in Australia are you able to drop the mast . I used a Franna crane only cost a few hundred $ we had everything ready to go all the stays loose & wiring disconnected . I did it at the wharf .

Tags
furling, mast, sail