Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2019, 05:02   #1

Installing a deck box

I am considering installing a box on my foredeck to store line for bridles, snubbers, jack lines and other deck gear. It could double as a small seat with a cushion on top. My boat is a Cheoy Lee 43 motor sailer with a wide foredeck, but the area I have chosen for the box is only 15" wide. Who has installed a deck box, what is made of, where did you get the box, and how do you attach it to your deck? Thanks in advance for your input. Sailing Vessel Magic Dragon – The Adventure Continues
Old 29-06-2019, 05:24   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Installing a deck box

15 inches? That's narrow for one seat. Did you mean that? It would be more a deck bucket than a deck box.
Old 29-06-2019, 06:36   #3

Tim, yes the prime spot is only 15" wide. There are other places I could put it but it would be more likely to interfere with the jib during tacking. I don't need a ton of room for the deck gear although any extra storage would be welcomed.
Old 29-06-2019, 06:49   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hmmm. That means getting creative. Your first task is to find a box or bucket that
1. Is no more than 15" across
2. Is sturdy enough to sit on.
3. Has a lid that can be latched and which will not fly away.

Then the task will be attaching it so it won't be knocked loose without messing up your beautiful boat if the plan doesn't really work out.

I do this sort of thing on my boat, such as dorade boxes made out of overturned buckets, chain rode in truck boxes on the foredeck, and a propane box made out of a trash can, but my boat is steel and never pretended to be pretty.

At a start, I can't find anything built for boats that is that small. Maybe someone else can think of a sturdy box that would work.
Old 29-06-2019, 06:55   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are some boat seat boxes 17" wide (but deeper) made in Australia.

A Google search for "fiberglass boat seat boxes" showed some possibilities. If one would work, then the next question is how much drilling etc are you willing to do to attach it.
Old 29-06-2019, 07:31   #6

Tim,

Thanks for helping me think this through. I went out and remeasured. I found a place that offers 20" that will work, which should make things easier.

There are other places on the foredeck that offer even greater space, but with more chance to interfere with the jib.

Regarding attachment, it should be possible to mount a frame to the deck and attach the box to the frame, making the box removable.
Old 29-06-2019, 07:40   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The boxes I saw have lips to the outside at the base, such that a combination of a good bedding and screws could make it one step rather than attach a frame and then the box to the frame. On the other hand, attachment to the boat from inside the box would make it look better and seal better - possibly even a few bolts through the deck but inside the box.
Old 29-06-2019, 07:56   #8

Small sturdy cooler. 20.1 wide:
https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...hoCIucQAvD_BwE

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 08:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I like the price of that. Some of the boxes I have seen are around $1,000 It could double as an ice chest on deck during local day sailing, and deck gear storage on longer trips
Old 29-06-2019, 08:48   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

What shape 'box' would it need to be? How High? Can you secure it so it wont wash away in a heavy storm with large waves constantly washing over the deck?
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 09:04   #11

You will find that to provide comfortable seating for any length of time the required dimensions of a bench are 15" high, 20" from to fore-edge of backrest (if there is one), else total width of seat and as long as you wish. If there is a backrest, the rake on it should be about 1" in 4" of height.

An excellent material for making this sort of thing is a material called "SteelPly" or "FormaPly" intended for making forming for cement work like foundations of buildings. It has a paper/resin overlay which makes the surface smooth and provides excellent substratum for finishing with a light scrim of glass and resin. This scrim, after having cured can be painted to match the hull colour of your boat. The material is very stable and strong, so 1/2" material will be suitable for your purpose.

If the box is intended for cordage, fenders and such don't worry about the lid being watertight. Drill drainage holes in each corner and set the box proud of the deck by gluing "feet" under the corners so the drainage water can run away across the deck.

For safety's sake, such a box should be thru-bolted to the deck so it can take green water smacking against it. The cushion should be removable so you can take it below when necessary.

Interiorly, where the component parts meet each other, the joints should be secured with glass tapes and resin laid over a fillet in the standard fashion.

Good luck with it :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 10:26   #12

Boat: lancer 36

I'm of a completely different mindset when it comes to storing. I look to see how much stuff I can get off the boat especially above the deck. I suppose as a motor sailor it might not be as meaningful but sailing performance is important to me.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 13:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
You will find that to provide comfortable seating for any length of time the required dimensions of a bench are 15" high, 20" from to fore-edge of backrest (if there is one), else total width of seat and as long as you wish. If there is a backrest, the rake on it should be about 1" in 4" of height.

An excellent material for making this sort of thing is a material called "SteelPly" or "FormaPly" intended for making forming for cement work like foundations of buildings. It has a paper/resin overlay which makes the surface smooth and provides excellent substratum for finishing with a light scrim of glass and resin. This scrim, after having cured can be painted to match the hull colour of your boat. The material is very stable and strong, so 1/2" material will be suitable for your purpose.

If the box is intended for cordage, fenders and such don't worry about the lid being watertight. Drill drainage holes in each corner and set the box proud of the deck by gluing "feet" under the corners so the drainage water can run away across the deck.

For safety's sake, such a box should be thru-bolted to the deck so it can take green water smacking against it. The cushion should be removable so you can take it below when necessary.

Interiorly, where the component parts meet each other, the joints should be secured with glass tapes and resin laid over a fillet in the standard fashion.

Good luck with it :-)

TrentePieds
20" deep is way to deep for comfort. 15" is pretty normal for like a dining chair.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 00:58   #14

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y

This is a search of Google Images for "boat storage box" : https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...tDvsB8#imgrc=_

Also maybe some ideas here: https://ssicustomplastics.com/wp-con...ct-Catalog.pdf

And maybe here: https://yachtsofstuff.com/shop?olsPa...-20-lbs&page=6
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 05:48   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've found two problems with the usual coolers (48 quart Coleman, for example) in this sort of role. First, they are not UV resistant - the plastic deteriorates quickly in the sun. Second, because of their plastic-foam-plastic construction, they are difficult to anchor firmly, the hinges pull out, and they are difficult to latch, so the top goes flying.

Maybe the new generation of much more expensive (10X or so) Yeti and the like coolers are a better bet.

Tags
deck