Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2010, 09:49   #1

Boat: Irwin 34, Destiny
Irwin 34 Citation: Threading Jib Halyard

Hello everyone;

This weekend's sail was topped off with the jib halyard breaking at the knot. This caused the halyard to fall into the mast.

I repaired line end, wrapped electrical tape around 6 inches of line and tried to rethread the line from the mast head into the mast. The line either straight, or curved, seams to hit and bind on some obstruction in the mast head.

After two hours I admitted defeat. Does anyone have some expertise in accomplishing this task?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 30-08-2010, 10:04   #2

Boat: Herreshoff 45 Second Star
Try using a smaller line, or messenger, with a fishing weight attached to the end. Once you get it fed through, tape and sew the halyard to the other end and pull the halyard through.

Regards,
Carl
2ndstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 13:22   #3

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
I think Carl has the best first option. It is also possible, if it was under stress when it broke, that a piece of the halyard is still in there, jambed in or on something - (possibly a place that was rubbing?). I watched a guy up from me use a wire fish tape (like you would use at home) with nearly effortless success.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 13:49   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I've seen folks use a short section of bicycle chain attached to the halyard to give it some weight on the way down.
Old 30-08-2010, 13:49   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Brian, try using a lighter line (like "parachute" cord) that is strong enough to tug without breaking, and put a weight on the end of it. If that doesn't work, you should be able to buy an electrician's "fish tape" at any hardware store, ten bucks for 50-75' of thin steel tape that you can often force up or down the mast, past obstructions.

It could be old insulation, stuffed in to stop halyard slap, or something harder which might fray your halyard, so if there's any way to figure it out, try outsmarting it rather than just forcing past it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard, Irwin, irwin citation