Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2021, 19:31   #31

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: is good rope the same as expensive rope

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We do have some anecdotal evidence on rope quality for Dyneema used for topping lifts. A number of forum members have reported sudden breaks where the line did not chafe or anything, just broke.

None of those case was Samson Amsteel Blue. I am now replacing my four running backstays which are 3/8” Amsteel Blue that we put on in January 2005, so it was used for 16 years, fully exposed, in the tropics.

So in case of Dyneema, buy the “good stuff”
Ditto here using Amsteel Blue installed in 2009 for my running backs. Only recently starting to show some "fuzz" which I'm told is a sign it's probably due for replacement soon.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 21:15   #32

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_92128 View Post
Any of the big 4 brands make excellent rope but, as a sailor, I expect to pay higher prices for less stretch. So expensive lines are used as halyards and less expensive lines are used for sheets. For dock lines, I'd rather have oversize lines with thick covers for wear resistance on cleats but no stretchy nylon lines. They can be dangerous if they break.
Seriously, no stretchy nylon dock lines? That’s against all the advice I’ve ever had.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 23:54   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seapig View Post
Re. use of the term rope. I have been informed that all cordage coming onto a boat is rope until it is assigned a use. This may be hooey but the individual who told me did so with an air of authority and he wasn't completely drunk.
Relax, you can say "rope" I have miles of ropes on my boat.

Rope is cordage of a particular type, bigger than small stuff and smaller than cable. If you refer to a piece of this type of cordage as " a rope", you are simply referring to it generically, without specifying its use.

Referring to ropes in use as sheets, halyards, etc as ropes does sound like you might not "know the ropes", so to speak. But it doesn't mean it's wrong. It's not, contrary to what some say.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 03:41   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I have experience with many brands of rope, and it's hard to tell quality when brand new on the spool. However, the moment you begin to splice it you can tell that there's a vast difference between Marlow and Novabraid or Lanex. NER is my favorite for anything non-technical (anything all polyester or nylon), but they fail with a resounding wallop at anything with dyneema or technora. Samson is pretty good across all it's range, Yale makes everything well; Marlow and Maffioli are top-of-the-line for European rope.
IMO, paying extra for NER's non-technical offerings, Samson, Marlow or Maffioli is worth the money. It's all about durability, spliceability, and consistency.
Old 30-07-2021, 04:21   #35

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I was kind of hoping this thread would go in the direction of some good Amazon or Aliexpress deals. Anything unconventional. I've found some deals on Dyneema there. See, the quality was slightly lower, but the strength was as advertised (I tested it).
Yea, many threads go off on a useless tangent with people arguing over silly things.

You can use the brand names and do a web search or an eBay search to find what you want, but basically, a manufacturer (Say New England Rope) is going to sell their products at pretty much the same wholesale price to every retailer so the only difference you are likely to find is based on a retailer's expected profit and overhead costs.

As I posted above, compared to your overall cost of owning and operating a boat, the cost difference between crap and quality lines is insignificant.
Old 30-07-2021, 11:09   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

to my way of thinking..some stretch is a good thing....it acts like a shock absorber of sorts...3 strand nylon anchor rode is classic in this sense...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 14:55   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
is good rope the same as expensive rope

I rate Liros well in Europe. Much more common then Marlow. I’ve also used Kanirope but don’t know if they are the original manufacture.
Old 30-07-2021, 15:06   #38

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
to my way of thinking..some stretch is a good thing....it acts like a shock absorber of sorts...3 strand nylon anchor rode is classic in this sense...
Spring lines can benefit also. But I guess it is dependent on the usage?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 18:13   #39
Marine Service Provider

When braided dyneema fishing line first became a " thing", I thought I would try it. It certainly sounded good. Very strong, next to zero stretch, etc.....and very thin, you could certainly put a lot of it on a reel.
I spooled several of my reels with the stuff, but there is right way and wrong way to do this I discovered.........

Additionally, I quickly discovered that once you tie a knot with it, you can't untie it.
If you have any kind of line snarl or override on your reel, that's it....there is no hope of untangling it and you pretty much have to cut the entire line loose.
Many fish will take a bait and run with it and the unforgiving thing about dyneema is that it doesn't stretch and the hook will pull from the fish's mouth.
If I had two lines in the water, one with nylon and one with braid, and they rubbed against each other...the nylon line would be toast.

After dealing with this innovative material for about three months, I threw it all away.

I view cordage for a sailboat in the same light. There is certainly a lot of high tech stuff out there, but it seems to me, that often the tech outweighs the practicality of some stuff. There is nothing wrong with cordage from years ago. It has stood the test of time on countless boats.
Old 31-07-2021, 04:21   #40
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
When braided dyneema fishing line first became a " thing", I thought I would try it. It certainly sounded good. Very strong, next to zero stretch, etc.....and very thin, you could certainly put a lot of it on a reel.
I spooled several of my reels with the stuff, but there is right way and wrong way to do this I discovered.........

Additionally, I quickly discovered that once you tie a knot with it, you can't untie it.
If you have any kind of line snarl or override on your reel, that's it....there is no hope of untangling it and you pretty much have to cut the entire line loose.
Many fish will take a bait and run with it and the unforgiving thing about dyneema is that it doesn't stretch and the hook will pull from the fish's mouth.
If I had two lines in the water, one with nylon and one with braid, and they rubbed against each other...the nylon line would be toast.

After dealing with this innovative material for about three months, I threw it all away.

I view cordage for a sailboat in the same light. There is certainly a lot of high tech stuff out there, but it seems to me, that often the tech outweighs the practicality of some stuff. There is nothing wrong with cordage from years ago. It has stood the test of time on countless boats.
Comparing fishing with sailing? Try the nylon rope for halyard then

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 06:56   #41
Marine Service Provider

while nylon is not appropriate for halyard use....it could be used, if nothing else is available....halyard tension as applied by the halyard winch will take a lot of the stretch out in the hoist and any remaining stretch will likely be minimal.
Old 31-07-2021, 18:14   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
while nylon is not appropriate for halyard use....it could be used, if nothing else is available....halyard tension as applied by the halyard winch will take a lot of the stretch out in the hoist and any remaining stretch will likely be minimal.
I’m afraid it isn’t. Even with low stretch polyester you need to oversize diameter to limit stretch. Dyneema is by far the preferred rope for halyards for cruisers. I use 1/4” which is great and cost effective

Old 01-08-2021, 06:15   #43
Marine Service Provider

you obviously didn't read my post......"it could be used, if nothing else is available"

I find 1/4", a tad small diameter for line handling...

but you do things your way...and I'll do things my way...
Old 01-08-2021, 08:45   #44

Hi all, CaptVR here,
Most lines on a boat have different qualities. Anchor / dock lines need a lot of stretch, deck handling lines need standard quality, where as halyard and other running rigging, low stretch. Personally I would use nothing but nylon for dock and anchor lines. I would not have any line on the boat made of polypropylene, other than for a dinghy painter (don't sink). Most all Horrible Freight, Amazon, Home Depot, etc. say there a dacron blend, read close you will find polypro listed in there, don't buy a blend. Many of these look like a really good rope but actually are terrible copies of a good dacron line. Also if it's a double, push the outer case up and look at the inner core, it shouls be a solid strand and not a lot of loose fibers. A couple years back I bought a couple hundred feet of HF for lashings for decks, running rigging for a couple sailing dink's, etc. Virtually every one of the cheap lines started to break down leaving fiber dust on everything. That crap didn't hold up 8 months out in the weather it looked good felt solid but was trash. So if I spent double on those lines, I know they would have held up for five or more years. Nothing saved by buying cheap. That don't figure time lost making the lines up.
A hint if you did not know. You buy a nice double braid line that's marked Dacron, you get it home, see if it floats, if it floats, it probably has a dacron jacket with a poly core, if it floats it no good, unless your going to use it for your dinghy.
Take care all, happy sailing. Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.MS St.Petersburg, Fl.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 13:36   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
you obviously didn't read my post......"it could be used, if nothing else is available"

I find 1/4", a tad small diameter for line handling...

but you do things your way...and I'll do things my way...
Traditionally low stretch halyards are made from steel wire, pretty tough for handling as well. So they put on a rope tail for the part where you handle it.

With Dyneema halyards you do the same: 1/4” Dyneema and where you handle it you add a polyester cover, which makes it 3/8” diameter. Great to handle

Tags
rope