Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2021, 03:22   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: is good rope the same as expensive rope

I find that the thin twine they put inside empty cover is useless for pulling longer lengths; though it's slow, I much prefer to feed the cover in with a fid.
AFIK, every rope maker offers empty cover; you just have to find a retailer that will sell it.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:23   #62

The best 3 strand used to be judged whether it had continuous filement construction or not...no fuzzies every few yds. It also had slightly more strength. There was soft or hard lay. The most durable was hard lay which was less prone to hockles than soft lay. Ive never seen this info posted on forums but was the best way to judge 3 strand before braid took over. Everyone seems to think braid is best but the covering stretches differently than the core and I stopped using it when I found the core starting to pulverize while the covering still looked good except for a localized small chafe. 3 stand does the same under severe conditions but you can see it and no surprises. Try cutting a damaged section and splicing braid together on a pitching deck. 3 strand is way easier. I know this goes against the pc crowd but thats my 02 looking back. BEAM ME UP SCOTTY
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:37   #63

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBill View Post
The best 3 strand used to be judged whether it had continuous filement construction or not...no fuzzies every few yds. It also had slightly more strength. There was soft or hard lay. The most durable was hard lay which was less prone to hockles than soft lay. Ive never seen this info posted on forums but was the best way to judge 3 strand before braid took over. Everyone seems to think braid is best but the covering stretches differently than the core and I stopped using it when I found the core starting to pulverize while the covering still looked good except for a localized small chafe. 3 stand does the same under severe conditions but you can see it and no surprises. Try cutting a damaged section and splicing braid together on a pitching deck. 3 strand is way easier. I know this goes against the pc crowd but thats my 02 looking back. BEAM ME UP SCOTTY
You are not alone.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:53   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You are not alone.
wow, thats cool...and over 50 between 8-42 here.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 16:27   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35

All the rope manufacturers use the same type of weaving machines to make their rope. What matters most is the quality of the fiber used to make the rope. For example, higher quality nylon rope is made from type 6 or 6,6 nylon fiber. The cheaper fiber is thinner and tends to break easier.

This same rule applies to the thread we use to build para-anchors and storm drogues. If the thread is too thin it frequently breaks during the sewing process. Higher quality thread rarely breaks.

Second, rope machines can be set to weave extra fiber into the rope. Basically, the rope ends up with a higher thread count making the rope stronger. The 5/8” rode we supply with our para-anchors and storm drogues used to weigh approximately 10 lbs. (4.5 kg) every 100 ft. (30.5 m). The weight is now 12 to 14 lbs. to every 100 ft., because the manufacturer uses a higher weave count. We accidentally discovered this information, since we noticed the heavier shipping weights. An employee of the rope manufacturer confirmed why the rope was heavier.

Keep in mind…accidents can happen during the weaving process. The rope can end up thinner or thicker if those tending the rope machine aren’t paying attention. Rope can also end up with flaws, such as loose strands sticking out from the side of the rope.

We tend to use a wide variety of rodes dependent on the intended use of the para-anchor or storm drogue. Sometimes we use climbing ropes, boating ropes, are a combination of both for para-anchor or storm drogue deployment.

Having a personal relationship with the local rope manufacturer or a reliable rigger can make it easier to custom build ropes for a wide variety of use.
Fi2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope