Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2008, 19:12   #16

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Thanks again all... great feedback... it does sound like the best plan would be to pull it at a marina and then motor for the summer... Not sure of the bridge widths even though I have seen many of them... they do a lot of barge traffic on the Rhine so I expect the width will not be a problem, but some do look low...

Thanks again, appreciate the education...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 21:31   #17

Boat: Trismus 37
Go for the tabernackle, then you can do the ultimate canal / river journey, up the Rhine and down the Danube. they are linked by a canal now. You can take down your mast at Hamburg and put it back up when you reach the Black sea. And you aren't reliant on anyone else.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 19:19   #18

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
That does sound like a really exciting trip...

Steve, Have you made the trip (up the Rhine and down the Danube) ... I did know they were connected now, but was not sure if private vessels could make the transition...

If you have made the trip or know anyone who has, did they tie up at a marina every night ? I am guessing there are not a lot of queit bays to anchor on...

Thanks for the advice..

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 20:38   #19

Boat: Trismus 37
unfortunately not, it was a dream of mine 30 years ago before they were linked, I would have had to transport the boat by truck between the two, now they are joined it is a lot easier, the Danube or Donau is an equivalent to the Rhine and has carried a lot of traffic up to the start of the Yugoslav conflict and prior to that it was through the Comunist states. It has been done by yacht, it has commercial Harbours along its length. Like the Rhine it flows pretty quickly. I would do the other German rivers and canals before going to the Black sea. But for me it will have to be in the next life.
ps. There is quite a lot of info on Google.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast