Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018, 09:15   #16

Re: Is my mast ruined?

Because the "oval" section is not bent I think you are fine. The extruded lips for the slides only bent right? If you have the mast down yo may be able to take the bend out with someone familiar with metalworking.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:43   #17

who dropped the mast? if the marina rigged the hoist- they have a responsibility.
If you did something on your own, it is your baby. - then if you are in question get a surveyor to advise.
Ultimately the answer will be replace because of liability that it is crinkled.

I think I understand your mast is standing now? put a slide in it and check for passing area- then max the back stay and baby stay if equipped- then pass same track slide and confirm it does not bind/hang up- if it does, then mast is compressing and will eventually fail in that spot.
Then sleave the tube or replacing the tube should be investigated.
good luck.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:55   #18

Boat: C&C Mk 1 33'

To cut glass you only need to make a small scratch in the surface of the glass. The stress of bending the glass focuses on the weakest point and breaks easily. Metal is not as brittle, but the stress will certainly focus at the point of the dent.

Maybe there are similar masts from boats with hull damage from hurricanes available?
Rhwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:31   #19

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I guess it comes down to the question of is the mast actually bent or the sail track just dented. Bend = potentially bad vs. Dent = cosmetically annoying. Plenty of ways to verify one or the other listed previously. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:55   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulskibum View Post
So, while unstepping my mast one of the "shrouds" that was supporting the whisker pole I was using as a gin pole slipped with the result that the entire rig fell the last 10-15 feet.

A quick inspection showed two things damaged: one of the chainplates was bent over, and the windex was completely mangled.

I replaced both chainplates (they were 33 years old and due anyway) and bought a new windex.

Stepped the mast on Friday morning, and what do I just now find? A dent/crinkle right in the mainsail track.

Sail slides will slide right through it without a hangup. But...

I am trying to get a rigger to come look at it, but none are answering their phones or emails.

Should I skip the rigger and go straight to the insurance company and have their adjuster look at it?

(If the mast is condemned there's a pretty strong chance the boat will be declared a total loss as the insured value of the boat is only $15k - if that's the case I'd prefer to get started finding a new boat sooner rather than later...)
From what I can see, take the bend out of the edges of the track and forget about it, if you like the boat.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:12   #21
Marine Service Provider

That doesn't look like a small "dent". It looks like a "crimp" that extends about 6" or more on either side of the "dent" which makes it a "crimp". Like hpeer says, get a 3 foot metal straight edge and lay it perfectly parallel to the mast every 45 degrees around its circumference. If there any gaps anywhere around the extrusion except right at the "dent" I'd say you've got a "crimp" and a problem.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:14   #22

Boat: Roberts, 36 ft Cutter

I would really be worried about the mast buckling (very suddenly). Especially if a strong gust came up suddenly, as opposed to a slightly building wind. The load factor could be greater than 1.0. Your mast is an NG 31, right? There is this expression I use often, "The sleep at night factor".
Briarpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 13:01   #23

Boat: Scout 30

From what I've read filing a major claim on boat insurance these days can make it very hard to get insurance.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 13:54   #24

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

I had a thought that may be useful if you are unsure of the extent of buckling.

You could cut the mast at the problem and then insert an internal sleeve. Many masts have sleeves at the spreaders (Selden commonly do) and you could insert the sleeve at this point and use machine screws to hold it there. The hard part is getting a good fit for the sleeve, I have done it but it was at the base of the mast.

http://www.seldenmast.com/files/595-291-E.pdf

It would be better than throwing the mast away and it would not change the bend characteristics much being at the spreaders.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 14:47   #25

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post

You could cut the mast at the problem and then insert an internal sleeve. Many masts have sleeves at the spreaders (Selden commonly do) and you could insert the sleeve at this point and use machine screws to hold it there. The hard part is getting a good fit for the sleeve, I have done it but it was at the base of the mast.

It would be better than throwing the mast away and it would not change the bend characteristics much being at the spreaders.

cheers

Phil
This is the only way to proceed if it is the main tube creased or buckled, which it certainly appears to be. There is no necessity to replace the spar, it really can be sleeved.
If it is really just the track, ease-out where/if necessary and forget about it.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 18:22   #26

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post

cheers

Phil
This makes the most sense. Use it as it is & you'll always be worried about it.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 18:24   #27

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreez View Post
I have straightened one before. Make a "T" plate to fit the track (polish the ends to prevent damage) use silicone to prevent steel to contaminate the aluminum. The tab that is in the slide, make it long enough to make a hole in it to grab with a slide hammer. Slide it up the mast to the damage area, then try to slide hammer the damage out. Worked great for me.
Ah, there is your answer !
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:37   #28

its ruined, unless you can get a sleeve in there
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:56   #29

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Same opinion for me: it is ruined.

Any pressure from the backstay or pressure from the main sail will increase the bent on the mast. The shape of the mast is no longer capable of compensate for that pressure. And for sure, it will fail at some point and you will dismast at the worst time!

I would cut the mast at the problem area, and then insert a sleeve. Means you will probably need to shorten the rigging.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:57   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
its ruined, unless you can get a sleeve in there

If the mast section is damaged, I believe you could also scab patch it.
Be ugly though.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast