Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2017, 17:15   #31

Boat: 1962 Sunfish
Re: Is my roller furler bearing high enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demacsea View Post
No Cheechako, it isn't.

Take a look at www.sailboat-cruising.com/roller-reefing.html to see why and find out how to fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Dear Cheechako,
I had a similar problem changing my headsail from a 155% Genoa to a 110% job in heavy winds. As others have noted, the hallyard wrapped exactly when trying to go in the marina in 25 knot winds, after the engine had died. So, fix it... raise the sail by at least 3-4 inches and test it at the dock a couple of times.

S/V Pizzazz
What are y'all referring to here? All I saw Cheechako say was he couldn't see pictures...
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 17:41   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
I was told I HAD to have a pennant on my 80-85% jib because the bearing would be too low. Here's a picture of it, does it look like the angle of the furling line is wrong? I have some dyneema I can add to the bottom of the sail to raise it if it's necessary and it'll get it off my pulpit too.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...psq7d0hvvx.jpg
Or could you add it to the top? That's the way Facnor and Selden both say to do it.

Added: And Harken says:
"Tip: Pendants are most properly used at the head of the sail. Short pendants may be added at the tack when
necessary to improve visibility under the genoa but remember that visibility is already improved by positioning the tack of the sail on the furling drum. Tack pendants increase heeling moment by raising the sail plan.
You may install pendants at both the head and tack of the sail, if desired. "
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seldenfgurler.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	143011   Click image for larger version

Name:	facnortop.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	143012  

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 17:54   #33

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

Added: And Harken says:
"Tip: Short pendants may be added at the tack when
necessary to improve visibility under the genoa but remember that visibility is already improved by positioning the tack of the sail on the furling drum. Tack pendants increase heeling moment by raising the sail plan."
I added 6 inches to the tack. It's only an 80% anyway. I don't think there's gonna be much heeling caused by this one.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 05:37   #34

Add a 6 inch permanent (wire or low stretch line) pennant to the tack.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 06:55   #35

You could probably raise the sail up by a few inches yet. Where it is, is a bit on the low side and could possibly wrap around the foil in certain conditions. I would try and raise it by about 3-4" just to give the halyard a bit more of an angle off the foil but but it's still a bit of a judgement call.

Halyard tension has a major effect on the shape of the sail. The sail's camber can be moved forward or backward, depending on the halyard tension. In doing so, if the halyard angle is too steep, it can create too much side tension on the foil when shaping the sail, making the foil more difficult to use.

So yes, you likely should raise the sail with a pennant or longish shackle of some sort at the base of the sail but, not too much; just enough to ensure that you won't get any halyard wrap on the foil.
SeaBreeze-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, roller furler