Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 05:18   #1

Boat: Catalina 350
Island Packet chain plate replacement

Hi Folks .. 1st time poster here .. thanks in advance !!! I have heard that the IP chain plate construction is quite solid given the integral manner in which it is install. However, this results in the inability to see it/verify it over time plus a repair when/if is significant. Also, is there any info as to repair/replacement over time. For example do they all need to be done every 15 yrs , etc ??? I have heard its around 15k to do the job. Any commentary greatly appreciated .. thanks ..
kingofcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:56   #2

Boat: searching...
Re: Island Packet chain plate replacement

Hi, I had an IP380 - was told good for 25+ years without need to check. You will hear hardly of any failure...
Learned as well that its part of regular maintenance to reseal the gaps on the deck - its basically the only way to somehow check if there is water ingression. I pried the seals out once and resealed the whole thing. Not to messy but very time consuming - mine was bone dry and I assumed all good. As far I recall they recommend a special kind of sealing compound. Check Haydens IP Owner webpage - lots of information.

Still, I never liked the fact that they are buried under so much stuff and think this is big negative on the otherwise great boats - just topped by the aluminium waste tank, as well buried under solid teak flooring (at least in some models) - if you have that, add 15k at least for the replacement right away...

cheers Marco
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:10   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Island Packet chain plate replacement

Call Colin Mack at Mack Sails, he is replacing mine with Titanium ones this July, Titanium should last much longer than I will be alive. My boat is 30 years old with factory chainplates, some have broken as early as 10 years I have heard but don't know if that is true or not.
My aluminum waste tank on my 38 took literally about 30 min to remove and replace with a plastic one, so I'd say difficulty is based on model.

Decent video
https://youtu.be/iB3qzgxvYY8
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chain plate, island packet, men