Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 15:18   #1

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat
Isomat discontinuous spreader fitting?

It's time to replace the rigging on my 1985 Beneteau First 405. The mast is an old Isomat tall rig (triple spreader) and most of the rigging looks fairly straightforward, except the bottom spreader (see photo). The spreader ends look to be an Isomat "Discontinuous spreader tip for the BF5" (taken from the RigRite site: Isomat BF5 Spreader) But the stainless part baffles me, it terminates three shrouds, but how it is disassembled is unknown. Anyone run into this before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isomat Spreader End.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	87785  
Attached Images

prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:05   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Isomat discontinuous spreader fitting?

Prof,
There are two set screws on the top and bottom end of the spreader. The spreader end(dark grey) slides into the spreader and the set screws torque into the grove as shown on your photo. It looks as if the white tape is covering the two screws. This is standard for Isomat spreader assemblies. Hope this helps. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:17   #3

The part I can't find info on is the stainless steel fitting that's attached to the spreader end (inside the red circle in the photo below). Sorry for the poor photo, but I had a hard time operating my smart phone with one hand while dangling in the air, so I took this one from the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isomat Spreader End2.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	87814  
Old 06-09-2014, 10:24   #4

Prof,
In that case, you must tap out the pin that is holding the rod in the spreader assembly end cap. This is how the boom end caps on Isomat spars hold the sheave assembly in place. It is visible in your photo. Once out, do not ream the aperture since it needs to be a tight fitting tolerance between the assembly and the pin. I hope that's what you mean. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2014, 18:24   #5

Thanks for trying, but that's not what I'm asking about. I understand the cast aluminum fitting at the end of the spreader. That's the part I included in my first post. That's -not- what I'm asking about. What I'm asking about is that cylindrical piece of solid stainless steel that three shroud fittings terminate to. Two turnbuckles at the top of the fitting and one swage coming from the bottom of the fitting. I've never seen a part like this nor has the rigger I usually deal with. It looks like it might have a set screw on one side and the bottom of the cylinder may be threaded. It looks like over the years, that set screw has become one solid mass so will need to be drilled out and re-tapped. I'm debating if I want to just re-rig the stick and make all the shrouds continuous. Would mean I have to modify or replace the chainplates, but would be bunches easier to fix / adjust in the future.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:38   #6

Prof,
I understand your layout, now, and believe the best course of action, as you suggested, is to buy new spreader end caps and re-rig your mast. It will be a cleaner, simpler installation without the superfluous turnbuckles that require occasional tweaking/maintenance. There is also the concern for rig failure due to cracking of the terminal piece to which the stays/shrouds attach. All boats have design flaws and/or poor designs that can be modified to become simpler. I think this installation is a good example of that principle. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 10-09-2014, 18:03   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

I have a similar setup on my Beneteau, but it's US Spars/Z Spars. Maybe give them a ring. You might be able to find something that could work. Might need to have some machining done to get it to fit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote