Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 16:51   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
J-B Weld on Aluminum ?

Anyone know how JB weld works on aluminum our mast step base is pulling away from the mast. The original base was screwed together with tapped machine screws and they have since stripped I am thinking now of though bolting but also want something a bit more permanent. 5200?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
J-B Weld works on aluminum, or on ANY metal surface, excepting lead.

J-B Weld will not adhere to, or bond well to:
* Any flexible rubber surface
* Leather
* Vinyl
* Canvass
* Polypropylene plastic
* Polyethylene plastic

J-B Weld Company - Frequently Asked Questions

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:15   #3

JB Weld works well on aluminum. If you think that there is an outside possibility that you might ever want to separate the parts, use a mechanical fastener.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:16   #4

I like JB Weld but am now using West's Gflex thickened epoxy for repairs involving metal. As the name suggests, it has a little more give than regular epoxy so I figure it can deal better with the different expansion rates found when dealing with metal. West specifically recommends it on aluminum. It's quite liquid but you can thicken it more if a putty is needed. Very easy to use - the larger kit comes in two good size tubes that will do a lot of repairs.

The trick to putting epoxy on aluminium is to sand the aluminum just before you put on the epoxy to get the oxide layer off. Then, put on a thin layer of epoxy and wet sand. Add more epoxy as needed. This prevents any air from getting to the aluminum after sanding.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 16:50   #5

Re: J-B Weld on Aluminum ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
J-B Weld works on aluminum, or on ANY metal surface, excepting lead.

J-B Weld will not adhere to, or bond well to:
* Any flexible rubber surface
* Leather
* Vinyl
* Canvass
* Polypropylene plastic
* Polyethylene plastic

J-B Weld Company - Frequently Asked Questions
Dear Sir,
I am writing you because I have an old home that has a sink's drain that goes down and attaches to this big lead pot below the stool, this pot is also what the stool flushes to, and it leaks where it attaches to this lead pot. I was considering using J-B Weld to fix it. I got to wondering if J-B Weld would really stick to lead and if so for how long. So, I did some research on line to that fact and your comment was the only result that came up of making a comment of J-B Weld and lead. Other comments about J-B Weld were about it adhering to every other metal. So, what experience, if any, have you had with J-B Weld NOT adhering to LEAD. This fixture is sub surface and we are going to remodel this bathroom and I don't want it leaking again in say 10 or 15 years where I have to tear up the floor to fix this again. Also, this bathroom is on the second floor so you can imagine what it does to the downstairs bathrooms ceiling.
Any comments will be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Bill Watkins
BillWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:47   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-II

unbusted,
Your question is unclear. Do you have any pix? However, if there is any stress on the bolt holes by the movement of the mast, I cannot see how the JB or any other product would work. You, then, will need to replace the fittings. Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:53   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think JB weld is what we called metal set in the Army, if so it's nothing but aluminum powder in Epoxy, is JB weld a two part? I have never used it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:20   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

rognvald, the OP is 7 years old. Don't think he's still waiting for advice.

a64, that is basically what it is, and it is two part. I've used it as a filler, for example when I needed to move the catch plates for new dogs on my ocean hatch and fill the old holes. Also fixed a hole when the drill bit walked. Filled, redrilled through the JB, and it has held a rivet for years.

I don't know that I would use it in any serious stress application, probably certainly not on a mast step. I also assume that since it's epoxy that it is not all that UV resistant although it's opaque with the metal thickeners which probably helps.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:42   #9

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"rognvald, the OP is 7 years old. Don't think he's still waiting for advice."
Suijin

Perhaps he needs some time to think about it! Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:13   #10

This is not about a water vessel it is about a HOME that has a leak in a lead pot that a stool and sink drain into. I just want to know if J-B Weld will stick to lead and for how long. GordMay posted that he had bad luck with J-B Weld sticking to lead and I wanted to know what his experience was.

Bill
BillWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 18:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWat View Post
This is not about a water vessel it is about a HOME that has a leak in a lead pot that a stool and sink drain into. I just want to know if J-B Weld will stick to lead and for how long. GordMay posted that he had bad luck with J-B Weld sticking to lead and I wanted to know what his experience was.

Bill
Don't know if you have PM privileges yet (with only two posts you may not), but you could PM GordMay directly, since he made the initial statement about lead and JB Weld.
ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 19:18   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWat View Post

Bill
A
When we bought our old (1887) house it had two similar fittings to what you describe. They were from sink and tub drains on the second floor. Leaks caused ceiling damage. Plumber wanted several thousands of dollars to fix it. All kinds of baloney. It was lead drain pipe into a rusty cast iron stand pipe. The whipped lead seal had fracked.

I went to an auto repair store. Bought some auto fiberglass mix and some glass tape. That was some 25 years ago. Narry a drop in all that time.

Good luck.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 03:43   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

J-B Weld no longer lists lead as an unsuitable substrate.

J-B Weld will not adhere or bond well to:
Any flexible rubber surface
Leather
Vinyl
Canvas
Polypropylene plastic
Polyethylene plastic
FAQ ➥ FAQs | J-B Weld

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote