Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2021, 06:26   #1

Jib Furling Replacement Line for Schaefer Furling system

Good morning family,
it is time for me to replace the furling line to trusty old Schaefer jib furler but I dont know what model system I have on my 1979 Mariner 28 (Peter Canning design). Does anyone here know which model came with my boat?
Or a feasible alternative replacement?
Latecomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 06:39   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Jib Furling Replacement Line for Schaefer Furling system

Its just a piece of rope isn't it?

I did mine with a bit of left over rope out of the odds bin in the local chandlers.

You could go all technical with Dyneema, but in the size of boats we have, just choose a nice piece of rope that is easy to handle. Oh and don't buy last years colours, that would be so naff

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 06:43   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Jib Furling Replacement Line for Schaffer Furling system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Its just a piece of rope isn't it?

Pete

This......no need to make the simple complex
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 14:23   #4

Re: Jib Furling Replacement Line for Schaffer Furling system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
This......no need to make the simple complex
verryy true.

Pete, thanks for your fast response. The thing is, I'm NOOB! and dont have a clue as to what was, or better yet the model schaffer furler system in question. To make matters even worst, my guy at the boatyard is of the impression or the belief that it probably calls for a spliced wire to rope combo for the furler line

George
Old 28-05-2021, 14:58   #5

Have you gone to the source?
Schaefer has great customer service and am sure they will have an answer for you, but probably not on a holiday weekend

https://www.schaefermarine.com/contact/
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 15:01   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Wire rope? Now I hope not because wire to rope splices are really old hat and one of the first things I got rid of on my boat. They have a nasty habit of a loose wire coming out and catching hands like a fish hook.

So when the line is pulled out to furl the sail, can you see a rope wire join or is it just rope all the way to the end attached to the drum? It should be.

Whilst the line is out measure it in diameter and length. If you have enough snip 12" off the loose end and take it to the chandlers to match once you have the length needed. Doesn't matter exactly the type or make, its a piece of rope so choose something comfortable to pull on and hold with bare hands and not too thick, hence taking a piece of the old rope with you.

Before you take the drum apart, Google some of the other Schaefer models and You Tube to see how it comes apart. Next put a sheet or umbrella under the drum so when you drop something it doesn't go splash and ruin your day.

Look which way the old rope was coiled around the drum, photo it if necessary and replace. Probably has a knot, replace with a similar knot.

Once replaced then think about greasing the drum and head swivel too if they haven't been done this year. But read the manufacturers guides for the nearest one you can find first on how too.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 16:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb_Grey View Post
Have you gone to the source?
Schaefer has great customer service and am sure they will have an answer for you, but probably not on a holiday weekend

https://www.schaefermarine.com/contact/
Caleb' thanks for your response.
Yes, that was my first go to, and they could neither confirm or deny the notion of a required splicedwire to rope combo for the application for the normal operation of their furler system. However, I was referred by the folks @Schaffer to A&W rope and spoke with rigger, Nate and says that he was ver familiar with system and that it didn't require a spliced rope to wire combo line and that regular 3/16th rope will do.
George
Old 29-05-2021, 08:29   #8

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latecomer View Post
............it is time for me to replace the furling line to trusty old Schaefer jib furler but I dont know what model system I have
Suggest contacting Schaefer with a photo to confirm the model. You can also look up the model if you have the specifications. Head sail furler line length = boat length + length of the foot.

https://www.schaefermarine.com/our-p...s/jib-furlers/

https://www.schaefermarine.com/wp-co...rchart2018.pdf
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 16:46   #9

3/16 line is difficult to grasp, I would go for 3/8” double braid, strip out the inner core for the length on line that is necessary to roll the sail, hence you a good hand hold on the line that you need to grasp, yet have a smaller diameter of line on the drum so it fits the drum with out over stuffy it,
Ranger2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 16:56   #10

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latecomer View Post
Good morning family,
it is time for me to replace the furling line to trusty old Schaefer jib furler but I dont know what model system I have on my 1979 Mariner 28 (Peter Canning design). Does anyone here know which model came with my boat?
Or a feasible alternative replacement?
Just take your existing furling line to a chandler and buy the same stuff, Skip the fancy dynema rope, this coming from a Schaefer furler user,

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 17:38   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger2727 View Post
3/16 line is difficult to grasp, I would go for 3/8” double braid, strip out the inner core for the length on line that is necessary to roll the sail, hence you a good hand hold on the line that you need to grasp, yet have a smaller diameter of line on the drum so it fits the drum with out over stuffy it,
IMO, stripping the core out is a bad practice. The remaining bit, the cover, is exposed to UV degredation 24/7 and will loose strength over time. Normally the core remains nearer to full strength as it is somewhat protected by the cover. I believe this practice is the origin of the reported furling line failures so often mentioned. The drum is designed to accommodate an appropriate amount of full strength line, and 3/8 inch is generally a good size for furlers.

Jim

PS Use of wire on the drum will destroy the anodizing... totally unnecessary in general and just a bad idea.

Tags
men, jib, furling