Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 20:08   #1
cruiser

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 28 CC
Jib track missing?

I am getting closer to actually being able to use my sailboat and have contacted a sail loft about finding me a usable Jib/Genoa. Upon sending what I know and some photos to the loft I was informed "It appears that the clew is to low. Please measure your track from the tacking point to the front of the track. Then measure from the tacking point to the back of the track. This will give us an idea of the clew positive" Now this is the professional sailmaker telling me he thinks it looks low but I would think it looks high or this could be a perspective issue related to it being a center cockpit boat. Also, I am pretty sure the sheet running to the clew was not even connected to a block on the gunwale at the time of the photos I sent him. As I have not sailed this boat NOR have I any experience with Jib sails... I am looking for some advice on my current situation and recommendations on future reading material.

On my boat, there are holes in the gunwale running the length of the boat where I was assuming was where blocks would attach to provide a point for the jib sheet to attach to before running to a winch/cleat. I had also assumed this would replace a jib track but now I hope someone can let me know if my assumptions may be wrong, I would hate to assume and see the strip on the gunwale rip off during a gust if that was not what it was intended to do. Also, I recently saw a whisker pole being used by running a sheet to a track that was mounted running fore/aft on deck (midship), the track was keeping the sheet away from the stays and lifelines and I cant see how this could be accomplished using a block attached to the gunwale.

Along with this, I hope you can pass your thoughts on a good book to learn this information for myself.

You can see the same photos of what the loft had seen by visiting my blog (Staying cool and getting ready to launch. – BravoVita.com)
BravoVita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 20:21   #2
cruiser

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 28 CC
Re: Jib track missing?

I forgot to mention this boat was a cutter and now has a windless where that rigging was removed so I am not sure a 130% genoa can even be used or what considerations need to be made.. ie: "A 130% genoa will be too much potential force for how the gunwale mounted blocks were intended to be used". Your thoughts on this are also appreciated.
BravoVita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib