Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2018, 13:16   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David
Kato Davits

Would anybody be able to tell me the size of the threaded stud Kato uses on the bases of their davits? Would you have a picture of the base of the davit or an explanation on how the davit attaches to the base. They say it is ball???

Is it strong enough for a good blow in the Bahamas or the Gulf Stream

Thanks
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Kato Davits

I think it’s. 1/4 x 20.
Well, I have been hanging my RIB, usually with a 20 HP outboard, and 750 W of Solar on then for I guess three yrs now and they have been fine.

I did have an incident with a lock when the lock cleat broke and the bow of the boat came around, shoving the Davits into the wall of the lock. The H brace that holds the panels and separates the Davits bent, the Davits swung around with no damage. I bent the H brace back straight and all is well with the Davits.
I still have to replace the Radar pole though, it creased and is not repairable, however it’s bracing also bent and was easily bent perfectly straight again, straight enough that you can roll them on a flat surface and detect no wobble.

Most of Kato’s “stuff” is highly polished 304, yet remains relatively rust free.

You will almost certainly need the flat bars to reinforce your railing if you mount the Davits, and if your at all concerned about hanging excessive weight on them, go with dual flat bars on each side. The Davits seem to be stronger than what they are attached to in most cases.

Call them, they are easy to work with, and you can order any individual part at any time you need it in case you have to. They are a custom shop, not a large manufacturing facility.

The bottom of the Davits mount is a ball and socket joint, this allows angles that are not 90 degrees from the Davit to the hull. The bolt that fits into the ball joint is not removable.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	176931Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	176932
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:08   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David
Re: Kato Davits

Thanks for the reply. I am having a problem grasping how the fix stud on the mount tightens into the base of the davit.

I guess I just need faith.
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 14:16   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Kato Davits

See the nut above the plate? That is the top of the bolt that goes thru the plate. You hold that with one wrench and using another tighten the nut underneath the plate.
The bolt with the ball on its head cannot be removed from the davit.
I assume it if were somehow torn out, you would send the Davits back, they would cut the bottom off and weld on new ball and socket joint, but that’s a guess.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits