Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2010, 14:26   #46

Boat: 36' custom steel
I have owned both.

My current boat is keel stepped. It's almost bone dry. I will get half a thimble of water per hour trickle down the outside of the mast to the interior if the wind at anchor goes above 25 knots and it's raining buckets. That's the only time. The inside of the mast does not let it water at all.

I prefer deck-stepped, but not by much. The winning argument for me is the cold temperature conducted to the interior when high latitute sailing. I used to sail Alaska, and conducting coldness could be an issue in the shoulder season.
Old 19-11-2010, 05:05   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
I have owned both.

My current boat is keel stepped. It's almost bone dry. I will get half a thimble of water per hour trickle down the outside of the mast to the interior if the wind at anchor goes above 25 knots and it's raining buckets. That's the only time. The inside of the mast does not let it water at all.

I prefer deck-stepped, but not by much. The winning argument for me is the cold temperature conducted to the interior when high latitute sailing. I used to sail Alaska, and conducting coldness could be an issue in the shoulder season.
All you have to do is wrap a bit of insulation around a keel-stepped mast and that is taken care of too.
Old 19-11-2010, 05:19   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I've owned both types over the years.... Hunter 37, Carter 30 being the keel stepped... never could stop water ingress in heavy weather... straight forward rain nothing worth mentioning in port so figured I'd sorted it....
But sea's have a way of searching out crevasses.... windows, hatches as well..
Did have a lower stay pop on my deck stepped 321 on a crossing... did not lose the mast... I was down below when it went... they do go with a bang... hit the cockpit fast and knocked the tiller pilot of the pin and she swung head to wind pretty fast...
Jury rigged a stay with spare halyard line and blocks which lead back to a winch that I used to tension up.... lasted the remaining 1200 miles.
If memory serves me well it was only blowing about F4.... Luckily
Back to the point... I prefer deck stepped... but it would not stop me buying keel stepped if I liked/afforded the boat..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 10:02   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
All you have to do is wrap a bit of insulation around a keel-stepped mast and that is taken care of too.
In my current set up, the mast comes down right in the center of the salon adjacent to the table. Insulation would be gawd awful ugly.

Plus I have clothes hooks on one side and a small lamp oil faucet coming out from the interior of the mast (storage tank under the sole), and the table slides up and down for making a bed and is clamped around the mast so that part of the mast can not be insulated. So, in my case insulation just doesn't work. Fortunately, my diesel heater works pretty darn well.
Old 19-11-2010, 10:24   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
In my current set up, the mast comes down right in the center of the salon adjacent to the table. Insulation would be gawd awful ugly.

Plus I have clothes hooks on one side and a small lamp oil faucet coming out from the interior of the mast (storage tank under the sole), and the table slides up and down for making a bed and is clamped around the mast so that part of the mast can not be insulated. So, in my case insulation just doesn't work. Fortunately, my diesel heater works pretty darn well.
there's a mylar film that is sold as an insulating material - nearly paper thin. I use it on my keel-stepped mast each winter and it does a decent job of insulating it. It's not pretty, but it's not horrible either.
Old 19-11-2010, 10:44   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
there's a mylar film that is sold as an insulating material - nearly paper thin. I use it on my keel-stepped mast each winter and it does a decent job of insulating it. It's not pretty, but it's not horrible either.
Thanks. If I find myself back up North, I might consider that.
Old 19-11-2010, 11:32   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... Insulation would be gawd awful ugly...
Rope whipping?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 12:03   #53
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M-P View Post
One advantage a a deck stepped mast (in theory anyway) is if you get dismasted in a knock-down you are less likely to loose your deck/house.
The main advantages I have heard of deck step are 1. it cheaper to build, 2. if gives more room below decks and 3. it makes it possible to put the mast on a tabernacle.
In theory a deck stepped mast will not tear the house off in a knock down, but a mast (especially a metal mast) would probably break first anyway. If anything you are more likely to loose a deck stepped mast from rigging failure than a keel stepped mast because the only thing holding it up is the stays.
My mast is 47' of solid sitka spruce stepped on the keel, it takes up a little extra room below decks and I don't travel in places where I would need to drop my mast anyway. Climbing the mast is also alot more solid feeling than a deck stepped mast.
Old 19-11-2010, 14:17   #54

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Rope whipping?
Hollofil® yarn whipping.
Old 19-11-2010, 16:20   #55

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The failed mast and interior damage were caused by lower shroud failure according to the post. The mast buckled in the middle which made a vicious club out of the below deck section. (snip)
hmm... that's not how I read it. The skipper said there was no failure of the standing rig and that the rigid vang drove though the cabin top.

Unless you have later info?

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote