Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2014, 22:19   #1

Boat: S & S 43'
Kevlar shrouds

Hi,
I am changing 2 X ±20 meter Kevlar shrouds. The new ones measure 15 centimeters shorter than the old ones and are way too short to attach to the chain plates. I called Navtec and their reply was that this is normal – they (the shrouds) need to be stretched before putting them on. They say a 5 ton load is needed. Is this normal?
Thanks for any info. David
david samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 01:51   #2

Re: Kevlar shrouds

I'm inclined to take their word on it. Not sure why you are questioning it. Do you think Navtec is trying to trick you for some reason? Perhaps part of some elaborate joke? Sounds fun.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 03:02   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
On the down side, the ends of a Kevlar shroud have to be finished professionally, and the lengths are not adjustable, so they must be measured correctly the first time. Also, while it may be hard to nick or cut the cover, it can happen. A shallow cut can be covered with tape as long as the fiber isn’t damaged, but if the fiber is damaged the whole shroud must be replaced. Beyond that, longevity is a hallmark of many of the Kevlar rigs Van Note has refitted, including some Gunboat 62s, the oldest boats in the Gunboat lineup. “They have Kevlar rigging, which we didn’t have to replace,” says Van Note. “They do require a serious inspection after four years, and we’re seeing a six- to eight-year lifetime depending on mileage.”

Kevlar can also be used on multihulls with carbon rigging. “We use Kevlar forestays and cap shrouds because they have a little stretch, which isn’t a bad thing,” says Johnstone. “It’s nice to have a little stretch on an all-carbon boat to absorb some of the loading you encounter in a sloppy leftover sea state.”
I don't know anything about kevlar except what I've read. But here is a statemeant from an article in Sail Magazine. Is Fiber Rigging the Best Choice for a Multihull? | Sail Magazine

With that, they may be pulling your leg, or Sail Mag. has a bad writer. You may have to goto terminators with lashings to make it work.

Old 18-12-2014, 04:29   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

David,

Are they terminated with splices already???

Then the answer is "for sure I would"

A member 40South (Craig) has posted some recent info on synthetic rigging...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-137560.html

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 04:32   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I'm inclined to take their word on it. Not sure why you are questioning it. Do you think Navtec is trying to trick you for some reason? Perhaps part of some elaborate joke? Sounds fun.
***Hey Marty***
There's this guy on the phone who says his shrouds are too short....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 18:56   #6

Boat: Sabre 402

Imagine if the shrouds had been the "right" length for you to be able to install them, and then they had stretched 15cm once you started loading them while sailing !! If you are in Thailand, can you use elephants for a "taffy-pull" operation?

Seeing what sunlight did to our kevlar genoa (disintegration?) would give me pause about using it for shrouds unless it was REALLY well sheathed and made very few turns.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 23:19   #7

Boat: Simpson Slipstream 50 Catamaran

Yes it is normal. It is only that the rubber padding on the shrouds that needs to be stretched. It may look a bit to far apart but it´s not actually. They all comes like that. Loosen up everything and you will be fine. If needed use a halyard to help on the winch. The best thing is to use a wide strap up the mast. Remember to tighten up after some sailing.
A two man job.
sirkus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shroud