Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2011, 14:46   #1

Boat: Catalina 38
Krogen 38 Spinnaker

Hi everybody, by any chance anyone knows the measures of a symmetrical and assymmetrical for this boat???
Regards, ms
Old 21-09-2011, 12:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Krogen 38 Spinnaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsoto View Post
Hi everybody, by any chance anyone knows the measures of a symmetrical and assymmetrical for this boat???
Regards, ms
I see in your profile you own a C-38 which has a much different rig than the Krogen. If you're trying to determine the measurements of a sail that is already built and on the boat you need to go measure it. You can compare I and J dimensions to get a rough idea of the differences.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 14:36   #3

The krogen belong to my slip neighbor and I'm helping him find a spinnaker. You're right about the rig. It is totally different than mine, and that's exactly what I'm having trouble getting the right measures. The J and I measures are to the bow, but this boat has a clipper bow with a huge bowsprit, and I don't know if I have to include it or not on the measures.
Old 21-09-2011, 22:24   #4
Marine Service Provider

The J on that boat is 16.5 which takes the bowsprit into account I believe. I'm not sure what you're tying to accomplish, but there's a lot more than just fit that goes into spinnaker selection. You may find a spinnaker that fits but isn't particularly manageable due to the original design goals. Those usually get flown exactly once and never see the light of day. No offense intended, but why not suggest a trusted sailmaker to advise on possibilities?

I'm a bit confused as to why you're looking for info on both assym and conventional spinnakers. Is your neighbor planning on buying one of each? Does he have a pole and all the gear required to fly a conventional spinnaker? Most people with boats similar to the Krogen are either going with an assym with sock or a cruising code zero type sail with a foil-less furler. The code zeros are slick. Many are retiring their spinnakers once they try one out. Very versatile sail.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 22:32   #5

The simple answer is that the width of the spinnaker will be 150% to 185% the length of the spinnaker pole, which is usually the J to the most forward forestay base.

The luff of the spinnaker will be no more than the max hoist. That's the tapemeasure distance from the end of the tack fitting to the topped halyard. Can be significantly less, according to taste.

Only a fool would buy a sail by reference measurements rather than tapemeasure measurements.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 23:05   #6

Well, the bowsprit in not included on the J measure. It says 16.5, but with the bowsprit, the total distance is around 22'..
He also have the spinnKer pole around the same length. As said before, Lots of people will use this sail once and that's it, but this guy has one and likes to use it quite often. The problem is that the one he has is for a 32' sailboat, so, it looks ridiculous on the krogen.
He has been spending lot of money on his boat lately, so he qanat a used spinnaker, so, symmetrical or asy, I convinced him to get the first sail that matches the measures no matter what shape, get rid of the pole, and get a snuffer and a tacker. The symmetrical can be used with attacker and works great, just like my avatar pic.
I will ask a sailmaker, but there are none here in Costa Rica....

Tags
spinnaker