Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 05:47   #1

Boat: Dickerson 37AC
Laminate sail leech repair ?s

Being the consummate cheap skate sailor/yankee I'm always trying to get the most out of my sails. I bought a UK tape drive kevlar laminate sail last year, used, from UK in New York as my cousin is their insurance agent. It was dirt cheap and has served me well. Hell we just won line honors in Figawi with it last weekend.

But my 2 cousins really stressed the already stressed leech moving the cars forward and loading it up. The leech has a series of tears perpendicular to leech in about 7-8 places. Each tear is about width of UV cover.

I haven't actually investigated whether or not it's thru the laminate or I'm just seeing the UV cover shredded. As you can see from sail it's def seen better days but most of my summer from here on out is casual cruising.

Any thoughts to just sewing on a new UV cover? My thought was to sew in a nice rectangular patch over the "tear", then sew a complete UV cover over top of that. I have a super heavy duty Juki walking foot machine but it doesn't do zig zag. I read ultrabond is best for laminate sails but I've never worked with it and laminate material is hard to come by other than scraps made for sail bags.

In meantime I will swap on my spare jib but I like the size of this UK and would like to get some more time on it before I retire it forever.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	170905  
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail