Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2021, 07:43   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988
Lazy Jack line choices.

Finalizing my lazy jack plan and wrestling with line size and material. I plan to stow them along the boom when under sail.

33 foot boat, 13 foot boom, main with full battens. Seems there are lots of line choices with UV protection, strength, chafe and stretch the things to consider.

I'm thinking 4-5 mm double braid? Dyneema, dacron, yacht braid, double braid polyester?

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 21:07   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Lazy Jack line choices.

We used our old lower shrouds (Sta-lok fittings, so built in eyes). Last forever in such light duty compared to what they were designed for. Mind, they do turn underfoot. But used wire's pretty cheap. Ends could be swaged on.

Have seen 1" flat nylon webbing used (won't roll underfoot), but should then be stored out of sun till next trip. It rolls up small.

Have used 1/2" double braid old jib sheets, too. Liked the shrouds best.

Ann
Old 11-03-2021, 21:23   #3
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’

I am old, ignorant, poorly educated and very uninformed but my reading of the OP’s query was in reference to lazy jack lines, or in plain speak some stringy things(lines) that help keep the big floppy thing(mainsail) on top of the metal , maybe composite, thing(boom)when it is lowered or dropped. You seemed to offer some great suggestions for jack lines, which in plain speak are some thing to affix oneself to so as not to take an unexpected swim. Again I am extremely stupid, as many here like to tell me, so I am sure I am totally off base. I am still contemplating the vision of someone having them there pesky lazy jack lines roll under foot though, when installed and in use. That I would pay good money to see.

As to the OP’s query, I have both seen used, and put to use myself, every option you listed as possibilities. Not much help I know.

To alleviate the need for the supreme and almighty sailing masters among us to belittle, demean, ridicule, chastise, criticize and in general respond in their usual condescending fashion I will readily admit that everyone here, and most likely everyone everywhere in the world, are much smarter, faster, stronger, better looking, more intelligent, more experienced, more well travelled and in general are much better members of the global society than I could ever dream of being. Please disregard any and all of the above prose, as well as the below pictures, if any, in favor of only listening to the self professed experts among us that are so amazing and magnificent that they have absolutely nothing to be learned from anyone or anything else as they clearly already know all that can be known. Oh and since I haven’t “been there” or “done that” then I am obviously not afforded the opportunity to have an opinion, or so the sailing elite here have informed me. Since they obviously have been everywhere and done everything it appears that they and they alone are allowed the luxury of stating their opinions........oops I forgot they don’t have opinions as they are so smart, whatever they say is fact and shall not be disputed.

Congratulations!!! You win. I lose. I shall now sulk away in shame.

Safe Journeys to most,
~Jake
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 23:02   #4

Boat: C&C 27 Mk V

My new mains'l will has Dyneema in it. Maybe I'll use Dyneema for any LazyJacks that get strung up.
Post up pics of your jacks when they done?
Old 11-03-2021, 23:37   #5

Boat: Outremer 55L

Consider not just the material used for the lazy jack lines (uncovered Dyneema is a slippery alternative and easy to splice) but also what you will use for thimbles. These will be turned sideways to the sail surface, so should definitely be rounded. LFRs are a reasonable alternative but do stick out a bit, these Ronstan sheaveless blocks https://www.ronstan.com/marine/shocks.asp could be a good low profile solution.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:23   #6

Boat: Farr 43`

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Consider not just the material used for the lazy jack lines (uncovered Dyneema is a slippery alternative and easy to splice) but also what you will use for thimbles. These will be turned sideways to the sail surface, so should definitely be rounded. LFRs are a reasonable alternative but do stick out a bit, these Ronstan sheaveless blocks https://www.ronstan.com/marine/shocks.asp could be a good low profile solution.
If you use uncovered dyneema thimbles are not required.
The dyneema is slippery enough to run over itself without chaffing problems.

Less cost, less weight, less assembly time.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:16   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

For a Pearson 33 I'd just use 5/16" polyester double braid with nylon thimbles. Comes in lots cheaper than Dyneema, and with more color options.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We used our old lower shrouds (Sta-lok fittings, so built in eyes). Last forever in such light duty compared to what they were designed for. Mind, they do turn underfoot. But used wire's pretty cheap. Ends could be swaged on.

Have seen 1" flat nylon webbing used (won't roll underfoot), but should then be stored out of sun till next trip. It rolls up small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahwork View Post
I am old, ignorant, poorly educated and very uninformed but my reading of the OP’s query was in reference to lazy jack lines, or in plain speak some stringy things(lines) that help keep the big floppy thing(mainsail) on top of the metal , maybe composite, thing(boom)when it is lowered or dropped. You seemed to offer some great suggestions for jack lines, which in plain speak are some thing to affix oneself to so as not to take an unexpected swim. Again I am extremely stupid, as many here like to tell me, so I am sure I am totally off base. I am still contemplating the vision of someone having them there pesky lazy jack lines roll under foot though, when installed and in use. That I would pay good money to see.

As to the OP’s query, I have both seen used, and put to use myself, every option you listed as possibilities. Not much help I know.

To alleviate the need for the supreme and almighty sailing masters among us to belittle, demean, ridicule, chastise, criticize and in general respond in their usual condescending fashion I will readily admit that everyone here, and most likely everyone everywhere in the world, are much smarter, faster, stronger, better looking, more intelligent, more experienced, more well travelled and in general are much better members of the global society than I could ever dream of being. Please disregard any and all of the above prose, as well as the below pictures, if any, in favor of only listening to the self professed experts among us that are so amazing and magnificent that they have absolutely nothing to be learned from anyone or anything else as they clearly already know all that can be known. Oh and since I haven’t “been there” or “done that” then I am obviously not afforded the opportunity to have an opinion, or so the sailing elite here have informed me. Since they obviously have been everywhere and done everything it appears that they and they alone are allowed the luxury of stating their opinions........oops I forgot they don’t have opinions as they are so smart, whatever they say is fact and shall not be disputed.

Safe Journeys to most,
~Jake
Wow, Jah. Really caustic and unnecessary attack on Ann.

Glad you don't post very often.

If you feel this way about the Forum and its Members, not sure why you're still here.

Ann actually made the same mistake I did on first read of the OP's request: jack-lines versus lazy jacks.

She was still attempting to be helpful and kind, however - which is more than I can say for you.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:42   #9

Boat: Farr 43`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
For a Pearson 33 I'd just use 5/16" polyester double braid with nylon thimbles. Comes in lots cheaper than Dyneema, and with more color options.

5/16 double braid 1350kg load and about $0.80c / metre
3mm dyneema 1400kg load also about $0.80c / metre

Dyneema has less weight and less windage
Plus savings on chandlery and assembly time.

Are there any advantages to fat, heavy, same cost double braid apart from colour choice?
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:50   #10

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Our Pearson 33 came with clothesline rope for lazy jacks. :face palm: They work but I'm interested in what you come up with.
S-V SAGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:29   #11
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’

Littlewing,

Thank you for the intelligent and extremely thoughtful insight you offer. To describe the level of appreciation and reverence which wells up inside of me from such a response is simply not possible to relay via the written word with the necessary justification it deserves. I am placing you on my vast and expansive list of those which occupy the earth that are to be studied and mimicked so that I might one day reach the pinnacle of being, which you clearly have already accomplished. Although, it might do you well to engage in some rather basic or elementary reading comprehension skills, or you can just continue to pass judgment and reach your desired conclusions without even so much as engaging the author to determine the tone and tenor of their prose. It is much easier to simply ascribe your desired beliefs upon others. It appears you have chosen the easy way in this case. If you had taken the time to either read, and if unsure, ask, you would have learned that it was not an “attack” as you so label it, but an offering of good natured fun and ribbing. Obviously you are either incapable or unwilling to see or learn that. I have no doubt you are a much better person than am I, and I am sure you are clearly right and I am wrong. After all, how could one expect the individual who actually formulated the thought and authored the text to know the intent and meaning. It clearly makes much more logical sense for someone who has never met, never spoken with, and never so much as exchanged a simple hello, either written or in person with the author, to be in a much better position to ascribe meaning to their prose. Thank you for doing so. As for making you happy. I am glad that I could be of service by “not posting here often.” You are most welcome. Now if you would only reciprocate the favor, and make me happy, by not posting here at all..........oops sorry I was daydreaming of a perfect world again. Silly me. Instead I am certain you will continue your behavior of being both judgemental and disrespectful of others. Nice work! For you, as well as any and all others who so desire, the option exists for you to simply ignore me. Please take advantage of that option. I assure you no sleep shall be lost and nary a tear will be shed by me if you so choose said option. In fact, Littewing, fell free to berate and demean me further for the benefit of all others as I shall never see another post from you again. If good fortune finds me, the stars are aligned, and the gods look down upon me with luck our paths shall also never cross.

Safe Journeys to most,
~Jake
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:35   #12

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

For my last set of retractable lazy jacks I used Dyneema and the Ronstan Shocks. Easy to deploy, and works well for catching the main on the way down, out of the way otherwise. I just used a finger pull splice, secured with a little stitching, and covered with heat shrink tubing. On the operating end I did splice a length of double braid for easier gripping.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:40   #13

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

A picture of the shock splice.
Attached Images

Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:05   #14

Boat: Caliber 28

I used dyneema...no thimbles. Works great and simple...
Rackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:14   #15

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post

She was still attempting to be helpful and kind, however - which is more than I can say for you.

LittleWing77
We need a like button on here.

Dan