Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2020, 16:22   #16

Re: Lazy Jacks stowed

To avoid batten hang up an make handling easier , the lazy jack goes up the mast , exits the mast under a spreader . Then it is led to the spreader , about six inches outboard on a small boat .. then down to the boom

By leeding the Ladyjacks to the spreader you create a wider separation and more space for the mainsail to move up and down
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 18:08   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I stow the lazy jacks forward hooking them under the cleat on the mast. LJ's lead through a cheek block about 1/2 way between the spreaders and masthead to a cleat on the mast. Release the LJ line from the cleat and pull the LJ's forward, hook under the cleat and retention the line. Lazy Jacks are set up like these. https://nautos-usa.com/pages/search-...jack+with+rope

Pretty much leave them hooked forward unless dropping the sail. Have had nothing but trouble trying to raise the main with the LJ's deployed. No reason to have them deployed when hoisting the sail so no big thing. Don't have the LJ's chafing and banging on the main, either. Used 3/16" dacron double braid and brass rings along with the cheek blocks and nylon cleats on my 28' boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 21:15   #18

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Lazy Jacks stowed

I stow mine until the sail is deployed then set them so they are ready for reefing or sail down.
I do like the idea of only dropping one side though.
Old 28-02-2020, 08:56   #19

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post

BTW Navdi, you are sailing the boat that is thus far making the list for the next boat I'm dreaming about.
You will definitely like it, we love it so far. She sails great and most things are accessible.

Give it a couple of months and you will see a few of them come up for sale, I may have seen at least 6 or 7 Sabre 34's before purchasing ours. If you do decide to go with a Sabre please join the owners' group, it is a very active group with a lot of knowledgeable folks.

Good luck.

-Darshan
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 00:50   #20

Boat: Westerly Sealord

What I have.. came with the new mast in '94.

Standing tails secured at mast between spreaders.... 'pulley' or small block.. call them what you may ... at lower end.

Cleats maybe 2 feet back from gooseneck where frd lazyjacks land... not small not big just right.

Lazy jacks deployed .. frd lazy jacks are secured to these cleats ....

Now... the cleats are big enough so that when I have done a simple figure of eight to secure things I just go around and around and around until all the spare line is wrapped around the cleat... which I secure with a simple 'tuck'.

Want a 'sea stow' ? This is what I do when setting the main... winch on stbd side of mast ... put wind fine on stbd bow... ease frd port lazy jack line....reach aft and haul the rest of the 'jacks frd and tuck under cleat... tension and secure.
Beauty of this is that you still have a working 'jack holding the bulk of the main in check as you set sail...

Harbour stow? Do the same but hook everything under the reefing horns... excess tail just taken from aforementioned cleats to and from a small cleat on the mast which the topping lift or whatever is made fast to... back and forth until it has all gone ..

Slap issues on mast?
Take a bit of small stuff ( I prefer the australian Telstra 'blue and gold' brand ) from offending string to the lowers maybe a metre above the boom... tension and retire below....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1367.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	209809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1368.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	209810  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1369.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	209811  
Old 05-12-2023, 11:19   #21
ZFG

Boat: Passport 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
What I have.. came with the new mast in '94.

Standing tails secured at mast between spreaders.... 'pulley' or small block.. call them what you may ... at lower end.

Cleats maybe 2 feet back from gooseneck where frd lazyjacks land... not small not big just right.

Lazy jacks deployed .. frd lazy jacks are secured to these cleats ....

Now... the cleats are big enough so that when I have done a simple figure of eight to secure things I just go around and around and around until all the spare line is wrapped around the cleat... which I secure with a simple 'tuck'.

Want a 'sea stow' ? This is what I do when setting the main... winch on stbd side of mast ... put wind fine on stbd bow... ease frd port lazy jack line....reach aft and haul the rest of the 'jacks frd and tuck under cleat... tension and secure.
Beauty of this is that you still have a working 'jack holding the bulk of the main in check as you set sail...

Harbour stow? Do the same but hook everything under the reefing horns... excess tail just taken from aforementioned cleats to and from a small cleat on the mast which the topping lift or whatever is made fast to... back and forth until it has all gone ..

Slap issues on mast?
Take a bit of small stuff ( I prefer the australian Telstra 'blue and gold' brand ) from offending string to the lowers maybe a metre above the boom... tension and retire below....
wow this is incredibly briliant and so simple. Thank you so much for posting this. 2 less halyards/lines running to the bottom of the busy mast (since the forward leg becomes the halyard), and an elegant way to harbor stow. I will be installing this on my boat, and just adding one leg on the end to get 4 legs to accomodate the 14' boom sufficiently.
ZFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 14:07   #22

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I don't think I have adjusted my lazy jacks ever once they are up, except for when I replaced the line. Mine run from eyes on the mast near the spreader and then to a small block maybe four feet up from the center of the boom. A line runs from near the front of the boom up through the little block, then down under the boom aft through a fairlead and then up to the little block on the other side of the boom and down to a small cleat at the forward end of the boom. Just two legs down to the boom on either side, but catches most of the full-batten main quite well. I don't need it to completely furl the main by itself, just catch most of it. Of course on my boat it is easy to walk up there and furl the main myself. Only the topmost short battens are any problem with catching when raising the main, and if we are head to wind it is only a minor bother.