Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 18:59   #1

Legacy Profurl P40 roller furling system

Not much out there in the google "ethers" related to disassembly, lubrication and reassembly of the older Profurl-P40 roller fulling system. I was hoping to find a schematic or owners manual on line to help accomplish the initial "look see" and plan of action related to the looming project.

If any fellow old timers with experience on gaining access too and lubricating the roller bearings it would be greatly appreciated.
Santacruzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 08:21   #2

Boat: CSY walkover 44"
Re: Legacy Profurl P40 roller furling system

I am interested in acquiring upper and lower bearing replacement kits. Any recommenndations for a source to purchase?
N-Aimless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 06:54   #3
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to markvannote

Hello,

This is mostly a copy/paste from a reply I made in another thread.

The Profurl "P" series furlers stopped production in 1987. There are no spare parts through Profurl. (us) If any rigger has a collection getting dusty in their building I do not know of it but happy to know anyone if anyone does so we can hand out their number.

Per the request of a technical manual or schematic of the systems, they do not exist online or even in my computer. Detailed information would have to be reverse engineered by someone who is doing the job.

I am new to the forum and hope I am following the rules by being here as an employee. I am hoping to be a resource for the forum.

Thanks.
Mark
markvannote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 08:12   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Profurl didn't design those bearings, and there are only so many ways to put something mechanical together.

For the bearings, and other stock parts that a manufacturer used, get to know McMaster-Carr and Grainger. McC-C has a very easy to use on-line catalog that lets you narrow down to what you want. Start with this page:

https://www.mcmaster.com/

Disassembly with no guide? You will need a camera, a muffin tin, and a clean confined space where spring-loaded parts will not fly away never to be seen again. Start disassembly, photographing as you go so you can see how to put it back together. Put parts in sequence back onto shafts, or in a sequence in the muffin tin. Clean as you go, so that you can see things like internal spring clips. Find the parts that need replacement, use waterproof grease to re-lubricate. Sketch, if that helps. Take your time.

The point is that you can do it. You'll see how it works. And, given that it is at the end of its life without repair, you have nothing to lose.

Tags
furling, roller furling