Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2018, 00:32   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40
Re: Length of whisker pole

My telescoping whisker pole is attached to the leading edge on my mast. It came with the boat.

I do not use it because my furling head sail Is too large to be self tacking if there is a whisker pole attached to it.
I keep it in case I do get a sail I can use it on.
Which proves the Admiral point that: Its not how long your whisker pole is, but how you use it.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 17:59   #17

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
My telescoping whisker pole is attached to the leading edge on my mast. It came with the boat.

I do not use it because my furling head sail Is too large to be self tacking if there is a whisker pole attached to it.
Which proves the Admiral point that: Its not how long your whisker pole is, but how you use it.

I'm not sure I understand that... there is no head sail that is self-tacking with a whisker pole on it, no matter the size.

Another important point is never to use the whisker pole on a spi. This is from an instruction file (the last point being my favorite):

• Do use a whisker pole to control the headsail in downwind sailing conditions.
• Do make sure all sheets are slack before setting, telescoping or taking down a
pole.
• Do keep the pole level.
• Do keep the ends clean and dry.
• Do store the poles in a manner that protects them from the weather if possible.
• Do not use a pole in a manner that pulls on the ends. All poles are designed for
compression loads not tension. The ends are extremely strong if used properly.
• Do not use the pole as a lever.
• Do not attempt to jibe a whisker pole.
• Do not attempt to retract a pole under load. You will not be able to handle any
pole under load and can injure yourself.
• Do not use a whisker pole (telescoping) as a spinnaker pole. They are not
designed for the tack loads a conventional spinnaker can produce.
• Do not fly a pole at angles that can subject the end fittings to loading in directions
not intended. This could damage the end fittings.
• When flying any pole, do not pull it back against a stay or let it fall forward
against the headstay. Any pole, no matter what it’s size can be bent or severely
damaged if allowed to hit your standing rigging.
• Do not attempt to return a bent or dented pole for warranty.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 20:57   #18

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post

This comment … "I do not use it because my furling head sail Is too large to be self tacking if there is a whisker pole attached to it" … requires some more explaining on the part of the op. … are you using the correct terminology? … because you've lost me for sure.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 21:25   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I too have seen a bunch of destroyed telescoping whisker poles... the lesson is kinda simple: they are a bit too flimsy for long term short handed cruising usage, no matter what it says in the glossy brochure.

On the other hand, for poling out a genoa, the length is not really critical. Our genoa is a 120 and we pole it out with a J length spinny pole... and do so from full size down to reefed around 30%. Perhaps not optimum at all sizes, but it works to keep the sail from collapsing and gets it out to windward.

The advice to buy the ends from the chandler and a bit of tubing from a non-marine supplier is excellent. Have done just that and saved a heap of money.

Last thing: while storage up the mast is by far the best in terms of ease of deployment, we found to our dismay that when dismasted, the pole went away too, denying its use as part of a jury rig. Fortunately we had adequate fuel to reach port...

Jim

PS I have often wished for a real short pole for use with our Solent jib... something like 0.7 x J in length. Never have gotten around to making one!
Old 31-07-2018, 11:48   #20

line adjustible poles are not as robust as fixed length. also, adjusting the length is an additional step, and one of the more awkward. and they're heavier, and more expensive. not a fan
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote