Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2021, 14:56   #16

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Let’s Rig This Boat!

This is your second thread on the same topic. Did you ever find out if you can get a piece of the same extrusion to extend the mast?

The absolute height of the mast does not have to be an exact number. The top of the sail is the least significant portion concerning power from the sail. A sail designer could add more roach to increase square footage and drive. Full batten will allow a bigger roach. Have you seen the newer performance sails where the head of the sail is horizontal instead of pointed? Another possibility is a longer boom and lower aspect ratio.

I would be more concerned about getting the boom to the right height and discussing the sail design with an experienced multihull sailmaker.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 15:18   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
This is your second thread on the same topic. Did you ever find out if you can get a piece of the same extrusion to extend the mast?

The absolute height of the mast does not have to be an exact number. The top of the sail is the least significant portion concerning power from the sail. A sail designer could add more roach to increase square footage and drive. Full batten will allow a bigger roach. Have you seen the newer performance sails where the head of the sail is horizontal instead of pointed? Another possibility is a longer boom and lower aspect ratio.

I would be more concerned about getting the boom to the right height and discussing the sail design with an experienced multihull sailmaker.

Not quite. The other thread was about seeing how to extend a mast. That is behind us in the rearview mirror. It’s all good. Splicing is no problem. That is what will happen to add the needed few feet to clear the deckhouse and boost the mast length a bit.

But yes. Exactly. Good, performance sails will be the next iteration. That’s not for this round. The mast came with sails and I’m going to use the ones that came with it. For now. When they give out, or I am ready to buy new ones, I’ll upgrade. I should have a better budget at that point because a lot of the other expenses of fit out will be down.

It’s already a full batten main with track cars and everything. Has a roller furler, etc. All Facnor brand hardware. It came off an identical size catamaran with a higher mast step and lower deckhouse roof. So the boom is too low for mine and the mast just a bit too short.

Saved $50,000 over a quote for the same thing new, so this is WELL worth the effort.

The sails are kind of old though, so I’m just going to beat them up a little bit before I upgrade. The mainsail especially needs replacing. It’s full batten but a triangle top. Definitely no good for performance. I will certainly upgrade to a full roach hi aspect as soon as possible. Even with the bad main, I think I can get a code 0 going or screecher or whatever. And get something out of it.

Boom is 21’ 9”. Seems to be about as big as will fit on my boat without having to boom go overboard off the stern
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 18:09   #18

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I'd add enough to get the boom where you want it and call it good.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 18:13   #19

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Not quite. The other thread was about seeing how to extend a mast. That is behind us in the rearview mirror. It’s all good. Splicing is no problem. That is what will happen to add the needed few feet to clear the deckhouse and boost the mast length a bit.

But yes. Exactly. Good, performance sails will be the next iteration. That’s not for this round. The mast came with sails and I’m going to use the ones that came with it. For now. When they give out, or I am ready to buy new ones, I’ll upgrade. I should have a better budget at that point because a lot of the other expenses of fit out will be down.

It’s already a full batten main with track cars and everything. Has a roller furler, etc. All Facnor brand hardware. It came off an identical size catamaran with a higher mast step and lower deckhouse roof. So the boom is too low for mine and the mast just a bit too short.
So if you were to change the gooseneck position you would also have to recut or replace the mainsail. So the best thing to do is extend the mast at the base and call it good.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 18:33   #20

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

chotu, sounds like you have it figured out.. splice 4 ft to the bottom of the mast and you're good to go.. so I'm missing the question? what exactly are you looking for info on?
happy holidays
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 19:21   #21

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

If you go on eBay and do a search in “boat parts” for masts you will find a couple of used parts dealers that have mast and mast sections. They are in Florida and their prices seem reasonable.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 19:34   #22

Boat: Gemini 105M, 34

There is a cat near me (considerably smaller than yours) that appears to have an A frame on deck to raise the mast. I assume it is aluminum but it could be fiberglass. I could picture mounting the boom to the A frame and using it as either a tabernacle or even make it hollow with some kind of jack arrangement to lower the mast inside it to get it below 64 feet for bridges. Making a solid base for the mast five feet higher than the deck with mounting for the boom might make things a lot easier as handling a 5 foot shorter stick is a lot easier and lighter.
captnknopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 23:02   #23

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Not a vote for the negative.... Just a caution.

I'd be very cautious joining a mast that I was going to push for 300nm days. I'd be very particular about who designed the joint and I'd insist they were involved during the work and signed off on it when complete.

I have a 64' mast with 3 spreaders and it flexes a great deal and I don't push it too hard.

You need to make it strong enough but at the same time it needs to flex progressively at the same rate a one-piece mast of that length would. It is important too that the repair doesn't introduce a torque around the mast when loaded.
Old 24-12-2021, 23:29   #24

Boat: Lagoon 400

Splicing will be the best way to go, and there is no problem with mast strength (many production boats of good pedigree have spliced mast as standard).
If you add a long enough section at the bottom, you may also have a chance to add a boom vang which only few cats have.
As you want performance, a vang will be very helpful in broad reaching or running before.
Old 25-12-2021, 00:14   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
I'd add enough to get the boom where you want it and call it good.
I think that’s exactly the plan. It’s only a 3-4ft extension at the base to do that.

From there, I’ll post more about the running rigging.
Old 25-12-2021, 00:15   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
So if you were to change the gooseneck position you would also have to recut or replace the mainsail. So the best thing to do is extend the mast at the base and call it good.
Agreed. Thank you.
Old 25-12-2021, 00:18   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
chotu, sounds like you have it figured out.. splice 4 ft to the bottom of the mast and you're good to go.. so I'm missing the question? what exactly are you looking for info on?
happy holidays
I’m trying to confirm that I’m doing the right thing and not missing something by adding that 4ft at the base. Was also checking to see if there were other thoughts like adding at the top, but it seems that’s much more complicated.

I know it’ll mean some slightly longer stays, my foresail furler will be a little shorter than it’s supposed to be, etc.

I will also post about the running rigging and sail control table here as well. It’s a big thread for all the rigging of this boat.
Old 25-12-2021, 00:19   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
If you go on eBay and do a search in “boat parts” for masts you will find a couple of used parts dealers that have mast and mast sections. They are in Florida and their prices seem reasonable.
Thanks for the tip!

I’ll have a look.
Old 25-12-2021, 00:24   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnknopf View Post
There is a cat near me (considerably smaller than yours) that appears to have an A frame on deck to raise the mast. I assume it is aluminum but it could be fiberglass. I could picture mounting the boom to the A frame and using it as either a tabernacle or even make it hollow with some kind of jack arrangement to lower the mast inside it to get it below 64 feet for bridges. Making a solid base for the mast five feet higher than the deck with mounting for the boom might make things a lot easier as handling a 5 foot shorter stick is a lot easier and lighter.
That is the dream!!!!

I’d love to have a way to raise and lower the mast without outside assistance. For now, i think I’ll keep it traditional/standard and just get time at a crane when it’s needed. Should be once or twice a year at maximum.

I need to get sailing so I don’t want to add more complexity to the boat at this moment. Later, when everything is done, I’d like to look into this. I might like to come have a look though so I can better understand the cat nearby.
Old 25-12-2021, 00:30   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Not a vote for the negative.... Just a caution.

I'd be very cautious joining a mast that I was going to push for 300nm days. I'd be very particular about who designed the joint and I'd insist they were involved during the work and signed off on it when complete.

I have a 64' mast with 3 spreaders and it flexes a great deal and I don't push it too hard.

You need to make it strong enough but at the same time it needs to flex progressively at the same rate a one-piece mast of that length would. It is important too that the repair doesn't introduce a torque around the mast when loaded.

Thank you. Caution is always welcome. That’s a constructive post. I wish some of those others that didn’t make constructive posts could read this as a good example.

My splice would be the bottom 4ft of the mast. I planned a DIY splice that goes something like this:

Because it’s only the bottom few feet of the mast, it won’t be subject to the same flex you see at the middle of the mast or in places it isn’t secured strongly. So the extra stiffness shouldn’t be as much of factor. Would you agree?

The spliced section will be in the mast step, holding it firmly in place.

As far as the torque around the mast, could you possibly explain that a bit more? I’m having problems envisioning that.

Tags
boat