Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2016, 11:52   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Lewmar Rope Clutches

I currently have a Lewmar DC1 rope clutch used for jib and spinnaker halyards(working load 1100 lbs/line size 3/8"-7/16") that I am replacing. Lewmar offers a larger model: DC2:same line size) with a working load of 2650 lbs. Is there any reason to change to the larger size? Thanks
Old 18-03-2016, 16:19   #2

Re: Lewmar Rope Clutches

Sure, if you need more than 1100 lbs. of holding power.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 17:03   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If the old one was holding successfully, why go up in size? And FWIW, I'm using the smaller model for our Solent jib halyard and it works fine. I'm a fan of the Lewmar clutches, like them better than the Spinlocks the builder used in many places.

Jim
Old 22-03-2016, 10:43   #4

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I'm a fan of the Lewmar clutches, like them better than the Spinlocks the builder used in many places.

Jim
Jim,

Can you give me some insight as to why you prefer the Lewmar clutches? I like a lot of Lewmar's equipment, but my boats have always had Spinlock clutches installed when I bought them. I am now looking at replacing some old Spinlocks and would be interested in your opinion. I was planning on purchasing Spinlock XTRs until I saw your post.

Thanks!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 12:12   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I also prefer the Lewmar clutches. The domino rings help spread the load over a larger surface area than the spinlock cams. This is particularly helpful with uncovered dyneema lines that the spinlock simply crushes.

But these days I am leaning more and more toward the Ronstan textile clutches where possible.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 12:20   #6

Lewmars don't eat lines like a lot of clutches. You can release them under load, and you can even surge the line if you want. Most other clutches use cams with teeth. Racers would say spinlocks hold the line more securely, with no slippage. As a cruiser, I'd rather use a clutch that is easier on the line. I like being to blow the clutch if I need to. Downside is Lewmars must be sized properly to get max holding power. If you want to change line size, you have to change clutches.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 12:24   #7

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Jim,

Can you give me some insight as to why you prefer the Lewmar clutches? I like a lot of Lewmar's equipment, but my boats have always had Spinlock clutches installed when I bought them. I am now looking at replacing some old Spinlocks and would be interested in your opinion. I was planning on purchasing Spinlock XTRs until I saw your post.

Thanks!

Steve

Hi, Steve,
I wish I could provide some greater information other than I have used Lewmar products for the last 25 plus years and have found the conservative design and quality construction to my liking. The rope clutch I am replacing is 26 years old and was in perfect working order until I removed it to recondition my aft cabin top and part of the frame cracked. Otherwise, it would still be in service. Also, it was $40.00 less than the Spinlock version although it's SWL was marginally less(1270 vs 1100 lbs) but not enough to be significant. If you PM me, I'll tell you where I got the best price with free shipping. Best, Rognvald
Old 22-03-2016, 14:15   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Jim,

Thanks!

Steve
Steve, there are two reasons, both of which have been addressed by others: the ability to release under big loads and much less wear on the line being clutched.

One of the uses on our boat is to hold the load on our running backstays. The D2 size has worked fine for this (with a 3:1 tackle) and can be instantly released under load when tacking. The Spinlocks on board (which are not the latest models) simply will not do so. I have also broken the handle on two different spinlocks over the years, never any breakage with the Lewmars (touch wood).

Cheers,

Jim
Old 23-03-2016, 10:37   #9

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Thanks, everyone for the explanation of the advantages of the Lewmar D2 clutches over other brands. I appreciate it.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, lewmar, rope, rope clutches