Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2023, 09:33   #1

Boat: Moody 376
Lewmar Wavegrip 43 winch parts

I have 4 Lewmar Wavegrip 43 winches on my Moody 376 which is currently in Guatemala. It's time to service the winches and I want to make sure I take the appropriate spares since getting parts there can be painful (and expensive). I think I have found the pawls and springs (part number 19700501) but I'm not sure what else I should take. I also found a maintenance kit (part number 48000019) but I can't find a direct reference to the Wavegrip 43 which was manufactured from 1983-1991.

Can anyone confirm part numbers for me and give me an idea which (or both) I should take? I really would hate to get one of my winches pulled apart and not have the proper spares.

Thanks!
lquerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 12:32   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Lewmar Wavegrip 43 winch parts

I have a couple of the same winch on my boat plus a few different sizes of the same design.

The pawls and springs are the only parts that are easy to lose. Having said that be very careful. The other parts are unobtanium. There is an Australian company that does or at least used to make parts (ARCO IIRC).

I have seen recommendations to surround the winch with a cardboard box with a hole cut in the bottom and taped to the deck. I have never done that. Most of the parts are held by pins and would be difficult to lose.

There is a service manual for these. If you don't have it google is your friend. You should be able to find a downloadable copy. Read it before you start, print it and keep it on the boat.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 13:29   #3

Thanks Stormalong. I did see that suggestion on the cardboard box and I'm planning to do that with some duct tape to secure it. I swear I've seen Poseidon reach up and grab tools right off the deck...

I'm planning to take 2 of the pawl and spring kits (19700501) since I actually have 8 total winches and these look like they fit them all. I gather that I may need to replace some since I don't know when they were last serviced and they do wear out.

I did find an old manual and a good video online so I should be good to go on the process. Just double checking the parts.

Larry
Old 16-11-2023, 14:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

I plan to service/clean my Lewmar 43s and wondered if it is newbie friendly? I've watched a couple of You Tube videos and it seems that if one is careful it might be an ok DIY project? These are older, circa 1988.

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 14:57   #5

We will be back on our boat tomorrow so it will be a couple of weeks before I get to that job. It looks reasonably easy. The biggest thing I think it's making sure you don't lose any parts overboard. I'm planning to use a box and lots of duct tape. I will let you know how it goes.

Tags
lewmar, parts, winch