Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2023, 22:21   #1

Boat: Nordship 808
Lift mast in spinnaker pole topping lift

I have a fairly light mast (boat is 25 feet), but it has double spreaders, which makes it more difficult than I like, when it is to be craned on an off.

I have a topping lift for the spinnaker pole, that exits the mast in a very good location for balance, so I was wondering if it would be ok to lift the mast in that spinnaker pole topping lift?

Of course provided that the rope is high quality and with a lot of safety margin (weigt of the mast times 10-20) ?

What do you say?
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 17:15   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Lift mast in spinnaker pole topping lift

If you're unstepping the mast with a crane or hoist, riggers usually put a loop around the mast at the spreaders and lift from there. They won't be concerned about balance because they want the mast to stay upright as it is lifted clear of the cabin or deck. They'll then swing it over next to the boat and lower it, gently, with the crane until it is flat on the ground. If they need to lift it again to move it around they can tie another loop around the mast at the balance point and helpers can help guide it. Two people should be able to move the mast of a 25' boat around the yard even without a crane. Using the topping lift might not be a good idea. The topping lift line is probably strong enough, but the direction of pull on it might bend or break the fitting where it exits the mast.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 18:24   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

On a 25' boat, you could probably remove the mast with a forklift or truck mounted crane, etc.
For that matter, if you had a sailboat each side of you, you can pull it off using their halyards in tandem.
The mast, even with all rigging attached is likely to not weight much.
As stated above, no need to pull if from the top, a loop under the spreaders will do the trick. A topping lift might also work, if the line is sufficiently strong and the exit point on the mast won't cut the line.
I doubt very much the mast will weigh more than 50 lbs at at a rough guess or thereabouts, rigging and spreaders maybe another 50 lbs more...

Lastly, it could even be done by using manpower alone with a few friends. Takes a bit of co-ordination, but quite doable.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 22:03   #4

Clarification:
We have a very fine and capable crane for the purpose in our marina, so that's not the issue.

Lifting point must be above the "tipping point" and with double spreaders, a person has to get into the mast to put the loop between the the two sets, when taking off the mast, and when the mast is hoisted, one has to go up and fetch the loop from in between the spreaders.

This is why I am looking to lift in the pole halyard instead. Discussed it with a couple of sesaoned fellow boaters with double spreaders, they are intrigued as well.
Google does not seem to provide any info.

Most pepole use a ladder on the deck to get up there, but that kind of risky business is not for me.
Old 12-04-2023, 23:10   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

why not use either the genoa or main halyard? These should exit directly from the masthead and would surely be strong enough... and not put odd loads on the topper exit plate.

Jim
Old 13-04-2023, 17:38   #6

To get a loop around the mast beneath the upper spreaders you only need to get it over the lower spreaders. It will slide up the mast to the upper spreaders when the crane starts to lift. It should be fairly easy to toss a line over the lower spreader on one side of the mast, and then toss it over the spreader on the other side, wrapping the line around the mast. Tying a knot up high to make it into a loop would seem to be the hardest part of the procedure.
Old 13-04-2023, 22:06   #7

It is better (for me) to lift at the spinnakker topping lift point, because it is much better balanced compared to lifting in the top or very near the top, and it also make me keep the head of the crane below the top of the mast, to spare my windex and VHF antennas from close encounters.

So, while I thank you for alternative methods, I am mostly out to check if there are problems I haven't thougt about with my idea.

There is no sharp edge above the exit of the rope (it's a "cassette" with a rather smooth edge of stainless steel). and there will be even less strain on the wheel than normal.

I do intend to "invest" in a new topping lift rope in Dyneema though, to have an insane saftey margin on the rope itself.
Old 14-04-2023, 13:32   #8

According to this:https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/nordship-808/, it looks like the mast is deck-stepped. You should be able to lower it towards the stern by undoing the forestay and using the jib halyard to ease it down without a crane, no?
Old 24-04-2023, 11:42   #9

So today we unstepped the mast, and I used the lift for pole.
It was absolutely great. Perfect balance, and so much easier than dealing with getting a loop up around between the spreaders.

So use this tip if you want.

I did put in a dyneema rope with a strength of around 5.000 lbs.
Better safe than sorry, but it is worth the money.
There were no chafe issues, but if you have a sharp edge at the exit beware.

Tags
lift, mast, spinnaker