Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 20:47   #16

Re: Lifting my engine out with the boom

I’ve done it three times with my 450lb Pathfinder. I use a chain hoist lashed to the boom and the main halyard and topping lift supporting the boom. Lift the outboard end of the boom as high as possible, even to 45 degrees if possible. This transfers part of the load from the halyard to your gooseneck. It also allows you to move the engine fore and aft by lowering or raising the boom.
My engine was a very tight fit through the main hatch and basically had to be lifted through the hatch at a 45 degree angle, moving up and aft at the same time. I rigged the chain hoist so it was in the middle of the block. With the gearbox on, this made it tail heavy. I then attached a separate block and tackle to the aft end of the gearbox and this allowed me to tilt and level the engine as necessary. Hopefully you will have more room.
If you can do a straight lift through the hatch, you might find it easier to make a shearlegs from three pieces of suitably sized pipes or timber. Good luck
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 21:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
I’ve done it three times with my 450lb Pathfinder. I use a chain hoist lashed to the boom and the main halyard and topping lift supporting the boom. Lift the outboard end of the boom as high as possible, even to 45 degrees if possible. This transfers part of the load from the halyard to your gooseneck. It also allows you to move the engine fore and aft by lowering or raising the boom.
My engine was a very tight fit through the main hatch and basically had to be lifted through the hatch at a 45 degree angle, moving up and aft at the same time. I rigged the chain hoist so it was in the middle of the block. With the gearbox on, this made it tail heavy. I then attached a separate block and tackle to the aft end of the gearbox and this allowed me to tilt and level the engine as necessary. Hopefully you will have more room.
If you can do a straight lift through the hatch, you might find it easier to make a shearlegs from three pieces of suitably sized pipes or timber. Good luck
Here’s a photo I found. You can see how tight a fit it was. Like giving birth to twins!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D5967F4F-AF2C-4512-96B1-61623751A0E4.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	468.6 KB
ID:	239536  
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:58   #18

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Just put two in yesterday. I added an extension to the boom, wrapped a ratchet strap around it, halyard at the far side and 1/4 ton chain fall to the strap. a little slow but great vertical control. Easy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boom extension.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	239589   Click image for larger version

Name:	lifting w hoist.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	239590  

Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags