Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2018, 07:02   #16

Boat: Tayana 37 Pilot House
Re: Light wind sail, no pole? See pic

[QUOTE=boatman61;2780725]Get one with a single line furler.. takes the hard work out of raising and lowering.. a one man job perfect for singlehanders.[/QUOrTE]

Anyone have good source(s) on what is entailed in setting up a single line furler assymetric?
Years ago, when I had the mast down to replace the standing rigging, as an after-thought, I attached an accessory block to a D shakle pin at the mast head and left a tracer line for pulling up a halyard.
Taipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 09:18   #17

[QUOTE=Taipe;2784335]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Get one with a single line furler.. takes the hard work out of raising and lowering.. a one man job perfect for singlehanders.[/QUOrTE]

Anyone have good source(s) on what is entailed in setting up a single line furler assymetric?
Years ago, when I had the mast down to replace the standing rigging, as an after-thought, I attached an accessory block to a D shakle pin at the mast head and left a tracer line for pulling up a halyard.
I should have added that my primary interest is to use it in the trades, hoping to use it often enough to pay for itself with the savings in cost of fuel.
Old 19-12-2018, 09:48   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Light wind sail, no pole? See pic

You can buy the furler and swivel online from a decent chandler then just shackle them to head and foot with a clip or shackle below the drum to connect to your sprit or whatever you plan to use..
Haul up with spinnaker uphaul, furl then drop and stow ready for use.
Go here and look at the Nex Furlers.. They do a range with loads from 0.9ton to 12tons

Flying sails furlers

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 11:39   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You can buy the furler and swivel online from a decent chandler then just shackle them to head and foot with a clip or shackle below the drum to connect to your sprit or whatever you plan to use..
Haul up with spinnaker uphaul, furl then drop and stow ready for use.
Go here and look at the Nex Furlers.. They do a range with loads from 0.9ton to 12tons

Flying sails furlers

Thank you for your response and that useful link. And for a preventer, when the asymmetrical is repetitively back-winded when rolling port & stbd before the trades, is it common for a spinnaker pole being used on a spare halyard?
Old 19-12-2018, 11:57   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Light wind sail, no pole? See pic

I tend to avoid DDW if I can.. long distance I'll sail far enough off to reduce the roll and keep the sail filled and steady.. gybe every few hours.
On a cat its not such a problem.. beam solves the need for a pole

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 13:55   #21

Boat: Outbound 44

[QUOTE=Taipe;2784416]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipe View Post

I should have added that my primary interest is to use it in the trades, hoping to use it often enough to pay for itself with the savings in cost of fuel.
Not sure which Trades are in your future plans. For us probably 80-95% of our passages in the trades white sails were more than adequate. When things were light enough for an asym the roll was often a hinderance.
I suspect if ours was on a furler it might have gone up more often.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 22:16   #22

Thank you for your response. In answer to your query on which trade winds lay in my future plans: San Diego to Panama, Isla Cocos, Peru, and the Marquesas, before as yet unplanned destinations en route to Australia. I understand from others that setting sail during Jan to April (the dry season) that near the coasts of Costa Rica-Panama-Peru, dependence on the motor goes along with setting tight timelines. I expect to be single-handing most of the time.

With the advantage of no return-to-work date, and a desire to sail w/o the rumble of a motor in-between the ears, there ought to exist the added time to sail from 10 degrees north to 10 degrees south without relying on the engine so much of the time. It seems that the addition of a light-weight sail on a single-line furler might be a way to cross doldrums where wave action is minimal.
Old 19-12-2018, 23:35   #23

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipe View Post
Thank you for your response. In answer to your query on which trade winds lay in my future plans: San Diego to Panama, Isla Cocos, Peru, and the Marquesas, before as yet unplanned destinations en route to Australia. I understand from others that setting sail during Jan to April (the dry season) that near the coasts of Costa Rica-Panama-Peru, dependence on the motor goes along with setting tight timelines. I expect to be single-handing most of the time.

With the advantage of no return-to-work date, and a desire to sail w/o the rumble of a motor in-between the ears, there ought to exist the added time to sail from 10 degrees north to 10 degrees south without relying on the engine so much of the time. It seems that the addition of a light-weight sail on a single-line furler might be a way to cross doldrums where wave action is minimal.
The Pacific coast of Central America is not a great sailing destination, meaning winds are light, inconsistent, no trades and then Papagayos hard blows, along with long swells to slap your main when its light, fisherman who consider the light of a cigarette to be running lights with nets or long lines marked by a small Clorox bottle and shreded black flag at the water line. OK I shouldn't paint such a rosy picture as it will sound like all marketing.

Pacific Panama can be pretty light for long periods. Leaving Panama earlier in the year you wait for enhanced trades on the Carib side and take the norther for a few days to get out of Panama City or the Las Perlas. Then its work to find good wind.

Never sailed to Ecuador, went straight to the Galapagos. Once you get away from the shadow of the Galapagos it is great trades all the way to Hiva Oa. We only had a couple of lighter days near the finish line, but nothing needing the motor.

Of course each year is different. YMMV.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 07:52   #24
gwy

Boat: Paceship32

If you're going to use an asymmetrical a rather easy fix, as opposed to making a roller furler, is to use a triple block forward and a sock. J Boat's popularized it for the J110 and the J 100; the pull down's and "pull ups" for the sock back to the cockpit along the rail with small blocks - it takes a bit of fiddling and works extremely well. If the halyard is also run back to the cockpit it is really a piece of cake to make it work. Have done the whole thing (not including the "sock") for perhaps a quarter of the furling setting. Scout around for small blocks etc., and $150 or even less and you have the whole thing.

GWY,

Topsham ME
gwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 08:28   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwy View Post
If you're going to use an asymmetrical a rather easy fix, as opposed to making a roller furler, is to use a triple block forward and a sock. J Boat's popularized it for the J110 and the J 100; the pull down's and "pull ups" for the sock back to the cockpit along the rail with small blocks - it takes a bit of fiddling and works extremely well. If the halyard is also run back to the cockpit it is really a piece of cake to make it work. Have done the whole thing (not including the "sock") for perhaps a quarter of the furling setting. Scout around for small blocks etc., and $150 or even less and you have the whole thing.

GWY,

Topsham ME

I heard of this some time back, but had not looked into it. Thank you for the reminder.

Tags
sail, wind