Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2016, 10:23   #61

Re: Lines Led Aft - Is It Really An Improvement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS View Post
What do you think about granny bars?

Seems like a good option for anybody, regardless of age/condition.

The only issue I can see is space.
They came on a couple of my boats. I liked them. One had spindles for hanging line coils.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:38   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddave View Post
I know a corcumnavigator who always has his boat "hove to"for reefing. Seems like a good idea.
I used to do that on our 25 footer that had slab reefing (essentially, or actually, double line reefing: separate tack & clew lines). Sail on port tack, heave to on starboard so the reefing lines & the main halyard were on the high side. Worked just fine. I sailed that boat on SF Bay and the ocean where conditions changed hourly, so needed to reef and unreef often in any given day.

On our 34, we have double line reefing led aft, two sets of reef points on the sail. I can reef sailing upwind anytime. Main halyard led aft.

I keep the jib halyard on the mast 'cuz the roller furling doesn't need that halyard led aft and as mentioned is a better place for raising or lowering the jib into the foil.

Spaghetti? I have that for dinner. I have many lines, and I simply flake them properly after they come out of the sheetstoppers and put them on the cabintop behind the dodger. They're only out for the short times you have to use them. Not ever an issue for me, been 18 years.

Cunningham led aft. On the mast makes NO sense to me.

Opinions abound, but what works for some doesn't work for all. Like, for example, my two different boats.

The OP is building a new boat. He's got lots of opinions here, but he personally has yet to have much real world experience. The idea of him getting on a LOT of different boats, while he's designing his, are well taken, and I sure hope he takes 'em. Kinda like his other post about his layout down below.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 13:12   #63

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I've gotta' ask. Where's the advantage to leading "everything" aft? Especially on a cruising boat, which has so few lines, relatively, anyway.

I mean if you want to talk about having a lot of lines to keep track of, look at an Open/IMOCA 60'. Or I can post the list of the 3-4 DOZEN lines which some racing boats have on them.
So it's kind of a matter of perspective. As with a bit of time, even keeping track of the above laundry list of lines on a racer becomes 2nd nature.

And to be blunt, there are a lot of sails onboard most boats which can't be properly trimmed without more lines. But many people simply think that "it's too much of a bother".

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 15:33   #64

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
...Where's the advantage to leading "everything" aft?...
The advantage will lie with those who must deal with physical handicaps or limitations.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 17:10   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
The advantage will lie with those who must deal with physical handicaps or limitations.
Fair enough. But could you be kind enough to give an example please? Both in terms of what you then would wish to lead aft. As well as what type of limitations would cause this to be necessary, but would still let you sail.

And when I say sail, I mean, performing all of the other tasks which sailing demands of you. Such as; docking, sail changes, going in & out of the companionway, etc. Let alone dealing with emergencies.
As not all aspects of sailing can be done via pushing buttons.

I'm not looking for an argument, I'm just having trouble visualizing this (conceptually speaking).

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 03-05-2016, 17:42   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS View Post
Leading lines aft is a common practice these days, especially recommended for singlehanders. The rationale behind this seems sound: going up on deck involves more time and risk than handling the sails from the cockpit.

Then I found this article, which takes the opposite view. The argument is largely based on the additional friction involved when leading lines aft. As a future singlehanding sailor, this is of great interest to me, but I don't know enough to have a strong opinion at this point.

What do you think?

Continue Reading
Why not do a bit of both? That's what we do on our boat. We have lines back to the cockpit so we can raise all of the sails, reef the main and furl the headsails (plus we have a permanent preventer system for the boom with dedicated winches in the cockpit, so gybing is super easy in any conditions, even single handed). That's the stuff we use all the time. When sailing single-handed, the only time one has to leave the cockpit is to attach the mail halyard to the mainsail before setting sail. Easy.

For pictures of all of this on a Pacific Seacraft 37, go here:

https://pacificseacraft37.com/more-photos/
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 18:14   #67

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...could you be kind enough to give an example please? Both in terms of what you then would wish to lead aft. As well as what type of limitations would cause this to be necessary, but would still let you sail...
No.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 23:43   #68

Quote:
Fair enough. But could you be kind enough to give an example please? Both in terms of what you then would wish to lead aft. As well as what type of limitations would cause this to be necessary, but would still let you sail.

And when I say sail, I mean, performing all of the other tasks which sailing demands of you. Such as; docking, sail changes, going in & out of the companionway, etc. Let alone dealing with emergencies.
As not all aspects of sailing can be done via pushing buttons.

I'm not looking for an argument, I'm just having trouble visualizing this (conceptually speaking).
I realised right away that you weren't looking for an argument but were simply checking to be sure we old folks hadn't forgotten your previous reminders that sailing is only for the fully fit and able-bodied.

Speaking as a non-racer I feel honoured that a racer would generously give up so much time to help educate those of us who merely play at sailing.

Many thanks
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:44   #69

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Lines Led Aft - Is It Really An Improvement?

Uncivilized, I truly appreciate your posts. I am a self taught cruiser of 47 years experience but I learn something from every one of your posts. I don't do them all. Some fit my boat and my sailing style, some don't, but I'm better I'm better informed by someone who's experience and knowledge, gained through years of racing and rigging, I respect.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 16:08   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Uncivilized, I truly appreciate your posts. I am a self taught cruiser of 47 years experience but I learn something from every one of your posts. I don't do them all. Some fit my boat and my sailing style, some don't, but I'm better I'm better informed by someone who's experience and knowledge, gained through years of racing and rigging, I respect.

S/V B'Shert
This is likely one of the nicest complimets which I have ever recieved. Thank you very much for it. And if I can ever be of help, or act as a sounding board/Devil's Advocate, please just let me know.
I'd say more, but don't want the thread to drift too far OT. But as I said, Thanks!

Old 05-05-2016, 09:30   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have main halyard, out haul, and double line reefing led to cockpit. Reef in a minute under the comfort of the dodger. It's so easy to do that I don't hesitate to tie in a reef or shake it out and sometimes reef for the fun of it. Think it's stupid not to do it if you can afford the money. Costs around a boat unit by the time you buy all the blocks, clutches, organizers to do it properly so it's not cheap
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men