Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 13:05   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Lines twisting on pulley

I often have to untwist the lines used to hoist the dink to the davits? If I don't there is a lot of friction and difficult to raise.
Fearnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 14:08   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Lines twisting on pulley

I suppose you have a 2-part purchase on each davit: the line is made fast on the davit, goes down through a block connected to the dinghy, then back up to the davit.

Then, a possible cause is that you coil the line when the dinghy is hoisted: when you uncoil it, it is twisted on itself. When you pay it out to lower the dinghy, the twists pass through the blocks and this causes the whole system to twist.

I had the same problem on the mainsail sheet. It was cured the day I stopped coiling the sheet round and began folding it in zigzags.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 14:27   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Lines twisting on pulley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
I suppose you have a 2-part purchase on each davit: the line is made fast on the davit, goes down through a block connected to the dinghy, then back up to the davit.

Then, a possible cause is that you coil the line when the dinghy is hoisted: when you uncoil it, it is twisted on itself. When you pay it out to lower the dinghy, the twists pass through the blocks and this causes the whole system to twist.

I had the same problem on the mainsail sheet. It was cured the day I stopped coiling the sheet round and began folding it in zigzags.

Alain
I do coil it! I never thought about that. I coil it and fold it over the life line. Thank you!
Fearnow is offline   Reply With Quote