Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2012, 05:46   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46
Looking for an Anodized Pole to Suit Z Spar (UK) Ends While in Panama

Recently bent our Z Spars whisker pole in a squall and need a replacement tube. The difficulty is we're in Panama and there's no local supplier here of marine grade anodized tubing so I think our most likely solution will be to ship something down from USA.

We need a pole with an internal diameter of 76mm, external anything from 80-82mm. 76mm is near enough to 3" but I haven't yet found any supplier yet with a 3" internal diameter pole.

Can any help me with some names of spars manufactures or other supplier of poles in Southern USA
Hugh Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 07:58   #2

Re: Looking for an Anodized Pole to Suit Z Spar (UK) Ends While in Panama

You might consider having the manufacturer send you a repair sleeve, and wait to get to a more shipping friendly place. A friend of mine ships parts to Panama and says that the shipping costs (not the Panama end) are sky high. Shipping a 2 foot sleeve and the proper rivets would be a lot less. Your pole might end up 8 or 10 inches shorter, but that can be lived with for a while. Just my thoughts.______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 08:28   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46

Gosh that is a good idea, I'll get onto it thanks.
Hugh Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 09:30   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
You might consider having the manufacturer send you a repair sleeve, and wait to get to a more shipping friendly place. A friend of mine ships parts to Panama and says that the shipping costs (not the Panama end) are sky high. Shipping a 2 foot sleeve and the proper rivets would be a lot less. Your pole might end up 8 or 10 inches shorter, but that can be lived with for a while. Just my thoughts.______Grant.
+1 --or even a sleeve with a full section slipped on. Still 2 sets of rivets, same length retained.
Old 18-03-2012, 10:01   #5

Or cut the bend out and have someone weld it? If it would be long enough. Or old school: how about a strong piece of wood carved to slip inside!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panama