Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 06:50   #1

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter
Loose Foot Mizzen?

Good morning, Cruisers! My wife and I sail POLAR OPPOSITE, a 32' Contest CS Ketch on the Gulf Coast of Florida. While we love the balance and extra sail area of a ketch rig, the mizzen boom is a hassle. It greatly clutters up the small area aft of the cockpit, especially with the dinghy slung from arched davits off the stern. I'm toying with the idea of a loose-footed mizzen. Has anybody ever seen one? Does it require a different sail, or will my existing mizzen sail suffice? What sort of rig is used to control something like that? As a side note, Contest 32s were sold in ketch and sloop configurations. There is zero difference in the hull, main and jib arrangements between ketches and sloops. Contest simply added a mizzen mast for the customers who wanted one. I bring this up because it tells me the mizzen doesn't really "do" much on these boats, so any concerns about the relative efficiency of loose foot vs mizzen boom are probably minor, since the majority of folks who bought these boats ordered the sloop rig. I don't want to get rid of the mizzen altogether, since it holds my radar and offers a bit more area. But I'd like to get rid of the mizzen boom if possible. Thanks for your thoughts; I always learn good stuff here.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:08   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Loose Foot Mizzen?

It's boomless mizzen not loose footed which has a boom but is not fastened all the way along the boom.
But why not, mizzen stay sails are without boom. You might need winches for a boomless mizzen thou as it's better to be sheeted like a staysail and without heavy block which is more dangerous than a boom.. IMHO

Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:12   #3

Well, I guess the first thing I learned is how to properly title my post. Thanks, Teddy...Boomless Mizzen it is. Unfortunately I can't cover up my mistake by editing the title.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:56   #4

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

I've noticed one or two boats recently using the type of 'boom' used on windsurfers - including an old schooner which had these types of boom on both mains and headsails - watching it selftack effortlessly around a fairly tight little bay was revelatory...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 18:03   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

You might want to investigate wishbone booms. They hold the clew of the sail out, but can be attached higher up on the mast than a standard boom and might not bang heads or interfere with access to the transom as much as your current boom. A boomless mizzen might be difficult to trim in many situations, making it less than useful.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 06:10   #6

Thanks, Everybody. After studying this problem for a while, I might just figure out a way to lash the boom vertically to the mizzen mast when it isn't in use. It would be available when I wanted it, but out of the way the rest of the time.