Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 11:32   #16

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksalot View Post
The most important question, I guess, is whether that deteriorated plywood is just an indicator of the problem or the problem itself. If the plywood is primarily decorative and the mast support comes exclusively from the area directly under the mast, then that's where I should look. The biggest problem with that approach is that the base under the mast at the floor area is a fiberglass-molded "pocket". Opening up that area and fixing the issue becomes quite complicated.

Anyone have this experience with an Ericson?

Thanks again for all the input.
Tanksalot
No but my Irwin has the same setup not a pocket but a bridge that the mast steps on..It was deteriorating internally as the plywood core got saturated...we completely cut it all out and glassed it up solid...its 3" thick solid glass now...and in addition Im installing a 3/8" SS plate on top of that...Which is part of the deck tie rod system I referred to earlier, which in my case will incorperate a new mast ring coller. The two SS Rods fore and aft the mast will atach the system togather...I installed plenty of block atachment points to the coller as well so will have many choices as to how to run lines back to the cockpit or up the mast.

In my case you could actually see a 1/8" depression in the bridge and it would pool water there that entered the mast.

I understand you not wanting to drop the stick to repair this but you could have several issues all contributing to the problem like i did...Not saying you cant get by doing it your way but more then likely the problem will return if you don't address every issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0016-1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	16850   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0014-4.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	16851  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mast Base Polish step 1&2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	378.5 KB
ID:	16852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mast coller.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	16853  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote