Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2018, 09:05   #1

Low Friction Ring Lashing/Clutch

I think there is some custom hardware for this but it seems expensive (on the range of at least $100, probably more) compared to low friction rings (20-30 dollars).

Using a cascading system, such as for a running backstay, how do you lash the line?

I know there are several hitches you can use on various places.

A cleat attached to the boat doesn't really work (or isn't my first choice) because I'd like to keep the running backstay mobile (move it forward when not in use - which is often for my boat).
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 14:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Low Friction Ring Lashing/Clutch

If you mean where to belay the fall of the running backstay tackle, well, you have to have a kind of quick way of securing it while it's under tension. Tying a bunch of hitches around the nearest standing part is not really going to be quick, and it'll be hard to hold tension on it while you make the hitches. It also needs to be able to release reasonably quickly if you're short tacking.
Best thing is to have either a dedicated winch, or if relying on the cascade alone for tension a cleat or belaying pin. If you take the tackle forward when not in use, what's wrong with just leaving the cleat empty?
If you're talking about securing the deadend by a removable means, I can recommend a toggled soft shackle, sometimes wrongfully called a "dogbone loop."
Old 20-12-2018, 16:49   #3

Yes belaying the line from the tackle is exactly what I mean.

I was thinking some hitch to the actual line, like a tautline hitch would also work? But maybe an awful idea as you possibly suggest?

I'm not worried about quick adjustments: the runners on my boat (Hunter Cherubini 37) are rarely even used in rough conditions by most owners, and if they are they are not something that is adjusted constantly or something I can imagine adjusting often at all.

> If you take the tackle forward when not in use, what's wrong with just leaving the cleat empty?

Well, I'm only speculating because I haven't the experience with this boat to answer confidently: but I'd imagine I'd like to take them forward and still have some tension on the line: bringing them aft (and in the way of the boom) only if I need to under the conditions (probably extremely rarely if ever.. but nice to have the option?)
Old 20-12-2018, 17:17   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If it's only for heavy weather, I'd think that being sure to be able to put good tension on it would be paramount. For that, I'd just have a single part runner that goes through a turning block (or LF ring) at some strong point on the deck, and from there to a winch. Surely there's always a lazy winch on the weather side? One single leg will be easier to stow out of the way at the mast than a cascade that can get fouled up as you fetch it back and forth.
Old 20-12-2018, 18:08   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

First, I'm assuming the line is Dyneema, something like Amsteel.

The cheapest way is to cover (splice) the tail with a surplus polyester cover and then just cleat it off. I've done that. But a jammer is nicer. Either way, you need to cover the tail, since Dyneema is too slippery.

Sail Delmarva: Fixing a Lame Bowsprit

Old 20-12-2018, 19:42   #6

Cool project!

Yes I think I'll bring them back to the cockpit for $$$ savings (will only have to buy 2 high-load blocks) and ease of install (have winches and cleats in the cockpit of course).

I have some rail cleats from defender which are really cool and work well, I think I'll just make sure they are positioned well and cleat off to those when the runners are not in use.

Dyneema sure is cool stuff.
Old 21-12-2018, 04:59   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

You are right about wanting to save money. We're in a similar situation, only really needing the running backs on spinnaker reaches above 20 kts when the mast starts to pump. The block & tackle setup we use came with the boat, but WM shows it for more than $275.https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...75?recordNum=2.. and you need two of them. Having the cam cleats on the lower fiddle makes belaying or releasing the line quick and simple. Since you're not about to lose the mast if you don't get it tightened or loosened immediately, tying a low-friction ring tackle off with hitches over the line itself will probably work fine. Make sure you get rings that won't distort under the load you're putting on them. Snap shackles at each would make the tackle easy to rig when needed and easy to put away when not. We remove the tackle from the running backs when we lead them forward to get them out of the way. Otherwise the tackle assembly would make them too long to fit. We'd have all the line to coil & tie off at the base of the mast on deck,( x2) and it could easily turn into a tangled mess. You could rig hooks on shock cord to keep the unrigged running backs snugly out to the way alongside the mast.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch