Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2021, 13:16   #16

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Low friction rings for furling line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
An interesting discussion on knots and rope, but how much is the antal ring and half a metre of double braid and how does it compare with a standard stanchion block?

Admittedly I could only afford one Harken so the others are spinlock but at £18 it was a quick fix that made a huge improvement.

Worth stating that again. The original blocks had worn after 3 decades and a couple had seized. The reduction in friction was very noticeable and the furling line is back to being an easy pull hand over hand rather than round the winch.

https://jimmygreen.com/348-stanchion...-and-fairleads

Agreed, I have added another furling line on the other side in addition to the original jib furling line. I replaced the two old stanchion lead blocks on the jib side with a number of stanchion fairleads for both sides recently.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1623010591.971911.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	239846

Price wise two fairleads were the price of one LFR, and certainly installing with a couple of bolts is heaps simpler than lashing.

It’s also a very low load application, so no reason to use a LFR rated heaps higher.

Of course, you need a cheek block or similar for the right angle turn (on a cat) at the bow. On a mono the lead is much straighter and as long as the angle is less than 30 degrees a fairlead will be fine.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 00:18   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Agreed, I have added another furling line on the other side in addition to the original jib furling line. I replaced the two old stanchion lead blocks on the jib side with a number of stanchion fairleads for both sides recently.
Attachment 239846

Price wise two fairleads were the price of one LFR, and certainly installing with a couple of bolts is heaps simpler than lashing.

It’s also a very low load application, so no reason to use a LFR rated heaps higher.

Of course, you need a cheek block or similar for the right angle turn (on a cat) at the bow. On a mono the lead is much straighter and as long as the angle is less than 30 degrees a fairlead will be fine.

Although the picture I posted was of a LFR lashed to a stanchion, on my boat the furling line actually rubs up against a turnbuckle on the bottom of one of my shrouds. I figure that it would be the same lashing method....

The boat builder should really have installed an extra stanchion, as the lifelines are only a inch or so away as well (that was until I installed stainless tubing instead and curved it nicely conforming to the hull).

Also, I have a couple of Antal rings of the correct size and a good length of thin dyneema already.....hence my original question.

I do use some stanchion lead blocks on my stanchions and do not plan on removing them. I just need to get the furling line off of the turnbuckles and this seemed like a reasonable way to do it.

Denis
DenisHeinrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:25   #18

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
An interesting discussion on knots and rope, but how much is the antal ring and half a metre of double braid and how does it compare with a standard stanchion block?

Admittedly I could only afford one Harken so the others are spinlock but at £18 it was a quick fix that made a huge improvement.

Worth stating that again. The original blocks had worn after 3 decades and a couple had seized. The reduction in friction was very noticeable and the furling line is back to being an easy pull hand over hand rather than round the winch.

https://jimmygreen.com/348-stanchion...-and-fairleads
Unfortunately for me i have 1 1/4" stanchions. most stanchions are 1", and there isn't a lot of options for me. currently I have big roller bearing rings that go over the stanchion. but theyre 30 years old. I gave them some love and they roll well now, but there are two that need to be replaced that are a little stiff. for my stanchions these are ~$120 each. I am adding a roller furler for the staysail later as well, so switching to lashed on low friction rings for all but the first two would be rather beneficial and cost effective.
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 17:23   #19

Boat: O'Day 40

alaskanviking

Would these work?

https://hardware.schaefermarine.com/...x&cPath=91_177
Old 08-06-2021, 18:18   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
Wow! Those prices make my eyes water and the LFRs look really good!

Jim
Old 08-06-2021, 19:40   #21

Pricey but they fit 1.25". Obviously LFR's are a better buy.

Luckily our boat came with the very nice Harken blocks. They were totally unused because the PO had them on backwards.

They work a lot better the right way!
Old 09-06-2021, 06:53   #22

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Garhauer is $40 for the 1-1/4" outside running stanchion blocks. Prettier too!

https://www.garhauermarine.com/stanc...lock-sb-4.html

Matt
Old 09-06-2021, 09:28   #23

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
Here is what i have;

https://hardware.schaefermarine.com/...gb2t9q4vqsrhg0

$160 each on that site. I have 8- 10 of them I believe. 2 are corroded inside the bearing race and barely turn, 2-3 of them turn ok but are a little sluggish. I took them all off and soaked them in salt-a-way and hot water with degreaser, a little dry silicone spray to help smooth things inside and keep them spinning. when i add the staysail furler ill need another 6 or so in addition to the replacements. That's at least $1000!

was thinking that I take the 4-6 best I have and move them to the forward 2-3 stanchions where the most curve is and use low friction rings for the rest.
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
Garhauer is $40 for the 1-1/4" outside running stanchion blocks. Prettier too!

https://www.garhauermarine.com/stanc...lock-sb-4.html

Matt
I missed those.

Garhauer are often the best priced manufacturer.
Old 09-06-2021, 16:03   #25

Boat: Island Packet 40

If you have access to a drill press you can make pretty neat ones out of scrap aluminium or stainless RHS with a hacksaw and a hole saw.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:40   #26

I have made continuous dyneema loops that are lashed tight around the antal ring, covered the lasting with shrink tubing, then luggage tag to the attachment, in your case a stanchion. I use them for fair leading my reef lines at the front of the boom. L-36 has a good website. There are lots of youtube videos as well. 3/16" should be a good diameter to work with.
walkabout08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:20   #27

Boat: Hunter 420 Passage

It looks like two hose clamps at 90 degrees to each other would work, but a nice lashing will look more salty.
doctorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:35   #28

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Garhauer has stanchion blocks that are very low friction. https://www.garhauermarine.com/stanc...on-blocks.html
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 13:43   #29

Boat: Tayana 37

I had to make a couple fairleads to guid the furling line around our pulpit. I spliced some Dyneema strops (search saltylass) with some small low friction rings (search that, also) and came up with these. Take your measurements and splice accordingly based on standard practice. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BD8AF84B-05C1-47E5-BF1A-E0D919834269.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	240160   Click image for larger version

Name:	4DA17A70-DCC1-4040-AC23-E2570F52D376.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	240161  

Name:	A391CB43-5414-47DE-B266-880DD34CED12.jpg