Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2016, 17:37   #1

Boat: LN35; Hull 23
Lubricate Harken Mark IV

Who knows the details of lubricating the Harken Mark IV base unit? Tech Manual is inadequate. Assuming I can do the washout and relubricate, if that does not make the furler easier to turn-- ideas? Should the base unit be disassembled and serviced? Top unit and tack swivel are OK.

Recently acquired Lord Nelson 35 cutter has two furlers, both are needy at this point.

Thanks for any advice

Carl
carlfmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 23:45   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Lubricate Harken Mark IV

Carl,

Try some 'One Drop' lube from Harken.

Clean everything and flush with fresh water first, then apply- you guessed it- ONE drop and rotate the assembly. (Really- don't use more than one drop...)

Lasts for months in the ocean.

Cheers! Bill
Old 01-12-2016, 11:42   #3

Question Re: Lubricate Harken Mark IV

Thanks Bill, I will obtain the One Drop-- but where to put it is the big Q. I am in touch wth a Harken tech support guy, maybe he will tell me. Everybody says wash it down but I do not yet understand how the wash water gets to the bearings. Or how dirt or salt can be flushed out. I get the notion that there are screws to remove on the side of the drum. When i see that as a specific instruction I will do it. If this is the case I assume the One Drop goes into one of the holes. Someone should have a set of instructions? I am prepared to remove the furling line and basket--then what?

I confess I have not had the opportunity to use a hose on the drum and try just spraying it from the outside and into the joints. I should have done that when i had the chance! (Now on the hard again with no running water nearby) I will try to dowse it. Somebody said WD40 lube but I bet that is not kosher.

Carl
Old 01-12-2016, 12:04   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Pass on the WD40, for the furler, as well as everything else. You'll just wind up leaving a sticky film on everything which attracts dirt, thus inhibiting parts from moving freely.

The bearings in the furler are Torlon, a kind of polymer, & aren't held in a race, like wheel bearings, or those found in winches. Thus there's no metal on metal involved, so lube is out, but for One Drop.

Also, use caution with what you attempt to disassemble, as you may wind up removing parts which hold the bearings in place. Thus accidentally dumping thme out, & watching them bounce off of the deck, & into the ocean.

BTW, most of this info is in the furler's manual http://www.harken.com/uploadedFiles/...t/PDF/4417.pdf

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:41   #5

Thanks for the advice. I have the Manual and it says flush the bearings -I get that- but I do not get where the flushing takes place. Maybe it is so obvious it is a dumb question? The photo shows a drop of soap being applied to what-- a screw head? If I need to remove screws to allow the flushing and lubricant, I hope somebody will say that. (I wrote Process Specs for a living long ago, and I need one here) I am an hour's drive from the boat now so I cannot look at it right now. But the help is appreciated.

Carl
s/v Saphira LN35, Hull23, Hawaii
Old 01-12-2016, 12:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfmiller View Post
Thanks for the advice. I have the Manual and it says flush the bearings -I get that- but I do not get where the flushing takes place. Maybe it is so obvious it is a dumb question?
Some of the early units had Delrin bearings (black) in some places the newer ones are Torlon (brown). We had to replace all the Delrin with Torlon as they were collapsing, no problems since in the boats I look after. Well over 100k miles on them.

Just look at it. You can see all the balls with a MK I eyeball there is nothing hidden. Do not disassemble anything to flush and lube.

The Onedrop really does do the trick.

Do not ever use PTFE spray or any other type of dry super slippery stuff. What happens there is that the balls tend to slide under load rather than roll, they then flat spot and the problems compound. The Onedrop provides the initial stickiness (stiction some call it) to get the balls rolling. Just like grease does in metal bearings.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 13:00   #7

Good advice to just look at it. I confess I have not tried to see the balls in the Mark IV; if they are visible I understand all. My initial looksee was that the balls are not visible but interior to the drum; Big Fat OOPS if I am wrong about that!

Tags
Harken