Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2010, 07:47   #1

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Mack or Doyle ?

Any experience with either loft? We're looking at both, and their quotes are similarly priced. Doyle has lofts worldwide, but any decent loft can work on dacron sails, right?
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 08:32   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
My rule is pretty simple: I want the sailmaker on my boat to do the measuring, and I want the sail delivered to the boat by the same person who measured it.

A loft that can't promise that won't get my business.
Old 24-09-2010, 08:46   #3

Interesting timing for your post - at the moment I have two sails at Doyle for minor repairs. One of them needs replacing soon, so when I was at their loft looking at my sails I also looked at a sail they are building. There are a dozen other things that transpired, but I will sum it up by saying that I am severely unimpressed. Doyle is ok for repairs, but that's it for me.

I have a hank-on sail I want to modify for the roller furler and will likely take it to Mack. Hopefully others will post about their experiences with Mack as all I have heard about them so far are raving complements.
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 07:36   #4

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipShape View Post
Interesting timing for your post - at the moment I have two sails at Doyle for minor repairs. One of them needs replacing soon, so when I was at their loft looking at my sails I also looked at a sail they are building. There are a dozen other things that transpired, but I will sum it up by saying that I am severely unimpressed. Doyle is ok for repairs, but that's it for me.
They have a loft in Virginia (where we are now) and in Florida (where we'll be come November), but the sails would be made at their new loft in Salem, MA. It's a pretty big facility, and quite a few of my racing buddies in Marblehead have said the loft is impressive. Of course, Robbie Doyle is from Marblehead, so there's a natural bias there. So was it a local loft you visited?

I'm still leaning towards Mack - they quoted Bainbridge Marblehead and HA cloths, and heavier weights. Might be a bit more to handle, but they should weather a circumnavigation a bit better.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 08:22   #5

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"
Hi in my opinion Mack sails not only makes good stuff ,but their service and workmanship is excellent . I had my whole rig done in 2006 standing rigging, furling gear, genoa,main Mackpac and am very pleased still.Especially pleased with the macpac ,when you are old as i am it reefs easy I can easily handle it alone and we travel up and down the eastcoast like idiots looking for the perfect anchorage Ole
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 09:10   #6

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Go with Mack

They have better quality and are more personable, with better quality. Great folks to deal with. They did my spinnaker and I asked for extra;s and there was no up charge. Quality is the best.

MACK ....the way to go
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 10:44   #7

Beausoleil, I went to the loft in St. Pete. I just finished a lunch break - I'll send you a PM later when I have more time. See what I mean about Mack?! Nothing but raving complements.
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 11:25   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
My rule is pretty simple: I want the sailmaker on my boat to do the measuring, and I want the sail delivered to the boat by the same person who measured it.

A loft that can't promise that won't get my business.
A rule to live (and buy) by.

Thats how I got my Dolyle 2+2 main, and Quicksilver 135.
Old 27-09-2010, 11:32   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I've got a full set of Mack Sails. They were great to deal with, immediately took care of the two problems that came up even though one wasn't of their doing. Price was extremely competitive, nearly half what a local loft quoted me. Sails set very well and are holding up great after several thousand miles of sailing.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 13:19   #10

Mack was my choice for a trysail. They did great work and a very fair price.
Soiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 07:47   #11

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter
I am currently completing a full set of sails with MACK for a 52' Kanter in Stuart Florida. Travis and Colin Mack have been very professional, very helpful. I have been in the loft many times, and the quality is exceptional. They appear to handle any issue and their prices are very competitive. I quoted with four lofts for this suit of sails and am very happy with my choice. Check back in 5 years after a circumnavigation, but I believe I am leaving the dock with an excellent set of sails.
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:54   #12

Boat: 54' Benford Custom Cutter sailboat
Re: Mack or Doyle ?

Mack Sails did the original sails for my newly purchased 54 Benford custom design cutter ten years ago and went with them again for new standing and running rigging, and new blue water furling boom system as well as electronics, autopilot, etc. We have been very pleased with the service and the pricing and I would highly recommend them to anyone. Their pricing was the best and they have been very knowledgeable and helpful as we prepare for Blue water sailing
sailingmasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:59   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Another vote for Mack. They were a bit more than offshore sails but their service was great. They will measure and install and if there's a slight problem you don't have to send the sails back to Timbuktu or wherever the other lofts get their sails made.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:52   #14
cruiser

Since this thread is five years old, I going to go out on a limb and guess.... The OP is probably sailing around now on a used set of either Mack or Doyle sails.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:32   #15

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

I have got to agree with sailingmasons and vasco! I dealt with Travis for a cruisiing spinnaker with custom tack and he was great to work with. I highly recommend Mack Sails.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote