Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2021, 15:51   #46

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Main halyard stbd, jib halyard port??"?

Consistency is nice and why the practice continues, but there are plenty of builders in the US that would do it opposite the RYA just as a matter of orneriness if there wasn’t a functional reason to go main starboard, jib port.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 12:59   #47

Boat: Catalina 25

I’m aware this is an old thread but I wanted to express my gratitude for it being here. I have a Catalina 25 that sat on the hard for three years before I bought it, which is my “classroom” in applying what I learned in ASA classes, reading Don Casey’s books, etc. The PO bought the boat, decided he didn’t like the look of Lake Michigan before even putting the sails up, and put her straight on the hard, so I don’t have a lot of resources for “why is this set up that way?” questions.

I’m sailing her, and also renovating the systems as I go to teach myself fiberglass work, deck hardware maintenance, etc. This boat has (had!) the external main halyard on the port side of the mast and jib/spinnaker halyard on the starboard side (though she doesn’t have a spinnaker pole or crane and the jib is roller furling so it doesn’t see much use).

I happened to read this thread perhaps five days before undertaking to add a cabintop winch and clutch/organizer for the main halyard and reefing line, and before reading it I had no idea there was a “standard” or that I was teaching myself a line layout that was the opposite of that standard, so thanks for that!

Also, thanks to Adelie’s signature I went down a Web-reading rabbit hole that ended with me checking out from my local library a book on spherical trigonometry which I am enjoying a great deal, so thanks for that too.
hlprmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 15:18   #48

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard, hlprmnky. I'm thinking you're going to be a lot of fun around here.

Ann
Old 15-04-2022, 18:31   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlprmnky View Post
I’m aware this is an old thread but I wanted to express my gratitude for it being here. I have a Catalina 25 that sat on the hard for three years before I bought it, which is my “classroom” in applying what I learned in ASA classes, reading Don Casey’s books, etc. The PO bought the boat, decided he didn’t like the look of Lake Michigan before even putting the sails up, and put her straight on the hard, so I don’t have a lot of resources for “why is this set up that way?” questions.

I’m sailing her, and also renovating the systems as I go to teach myself fiberglass work, deck hardware maintenance, etc. This boat has (had!) the external main halyard on the port side of the mast and jib/spinnaker halyard on the starboard side (though she doesn’t have a spinnaker pole or crane and the jib is roller furling so it doesn’t see much use).

I happened to read this thread perhaps five days before undertaking to add a cabintop winch and clutch/organizer for the main halyard and reefing line, and before reading it I had no idea there was a “standard” or that I was teaching myself a line layout that was the opposite of that standard, so thanks for that!

Also, thanks to Adelie’s signature I went down a Web-reading rabbit hole that ended with me checking out from my local library a book on spherical trigonometry which I am enjoying a great deal, so thanks for that too.
What a blast from the past. Had forgotten all about it. Glad you found it useful. Cruisers Forum is a wealth of information that has been collecting for years. I frequently search through the old discussions for information.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, halyard