Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2015, 19:03   #16

Re: Mainsail boom furlers

While I know several people who had luff tape problems, others with the same boom haven't. Don't know why.

I've never heard of anyone having luff tape wear problems with the Schaefer. They use a special articulated mast track. This Schaefer video explains their system:

Boom Furlers - Schaefer Marine
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 23:34   #17

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have a profurl boom furler. Came with the boat. I'd never part with $20-25K for one. Stack pack is the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 17:45   #18

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Had Sailtainer in-boom furling on both our main and mizzen. Mizzen worked ok (quite a small sail) and was a big plus as the mizzen boom is 6ft above the aft deck (and subsequently difficult to reach for reefing).

The mainsail was a nightmare though; always jamming, the luff tape constantly chafing - even when I decided to ditch the setup and fit slab reefing, removing the furling line off the drum took 30mins. Imagine having that sort of jam in heavy seas?

Never again - slab reefing applies the KISS method so well.

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 18:13   #19
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

I bought a boat in 2008 with Leisure Furl. I had never sailed before (owned a boat) but I had a few bareboat trips. Just like anything else, the more bells the more you have to learn. When you get down to it, look at the sail, if it is flat while being furled it is correct. The problem some have with luff tape may be the wrong angle causing the sail to creep foreward while being furled and then chafing against the mast or track. I like mine but there is a learning curve.
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:33   #20

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Dear All

Thanks for this thread and opinions. I recently considered for purchase at very nice ketch with two (count them, two) Forespar Leisure Furl Coastal in-boom furlers. I did not like the look of them.

I don't like the sound of having to manage a critical boom angle, and sail flatness when furling (you furl when the wind the blowing hard, right?).

I did not like anything about it.

Questions I had were...

1) Can you furl them under load, off the wind say 30-40 degrees, in heavy air... without jamming?

2) Can you get a decent sail trim when furled? For example, with the foot stretch out with no obvious way to rig an outhaul?

3) Can you twist off the main (allowing the boom to rise) in heavy air? Not obvious if the vang/boom kicker has to be rigidly set.

4) Will the luft jam or have high friction when setting or dousing... bolt rope in a rubber groove?... I dont like it.

5) If there are battens (which I do not know in this case), wouldn't then be at the wrong angle? Normally main battens are not parallel with the boom. Also batten would tend to jam at the luff. Looks like battens are out of the question, really. I like battens. Makes all the difference in light air.

The guy has put a really price premium on this boat, because of these and other big ticket upgrades. I am afraid this disqualifies what would otherwise be a really nice boat.
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:53   #21

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Gamechanger, if your priority is a KISS method of furling at a budget, then consider AFT mast furling.

Minor modifications to mainsail, same in the form of attachments to existing mast and boom.

I have those installed which furl easily and manually without any problems.

Not the rig if you are into racing, but definitely user friendly.
I've seen this system only a few times. it looks like your rig is pretty solid- i always worried about pumping of the mast since the luff is not supported by the mainsail.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, mainsail, sail