Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2012, 19:23   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Re: Mainsail Shape for Bluewater Cruising

I agree Hydra-net is to expensive, woven dyneema/polyester blend is only made by one company. On a smaller cruising boat you are better off with a good dacron and spend the money on other things. On a big boat dacron won't cut it. Last time I looked at it Hydra Radial was about 30% more than a high quality loadpath. Hopefully another company (csf, challenge) develops a woven dyneema to bring the price into line, as when you talked to cruisers about sails the name hydra-net comes up often.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 21:40   #32
Marine Service Provider

Kestrahl,

Have you worked with Vektron at all? It used to be only offered by Hood but now available to all sailmakers. For someone wanting a woven, it's a good choice, especially if they don't have the deep pockets for Hydra.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 22:10   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
I agree Hydra-net is to expensive, woven dyneema/polyester blend is only made by one company. On a smaller cruising boat you are better off with a good dacron and spend the money on other things. On a big boat dacron won't cut it. Last time I looked at it Hydra Radial was about 30% more than a high quality loadpath. Hopefully another company (csf, challenge) develops a woven dyneema to bring the price into line, as when you talked to cruisers about sails the name hydra-net comes up often.
G'Day to you and to Island Planet as well,

I wonder just about where you draw the line between your hypothetical "big boat"? Our main is about 62 M^2 and will be getting replaced n the near future. Old main is radial cut, "Wide Radial" Dacron, plied in the high stress areas and has now done 43K miles over 9 years. Still usable but getting some odd lumps at the join between plied and single layer. The price for radial Hydra seems outta sight, the laminates, while improving in durability, are still questionable for the abuse that we short handed cruisers deal out, and the load path sails are also pretty dear. What's a "performance cruiser" to do on a reasonable but not unlimited budget? The Vectran might be a possibility it seems, but I know little about it. Any comments?

A photo of the current sail (when new) is attached for reference.

Cheers and thanks

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new main 005.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	51784  
Old 28-12-2012, 01:57   #34
Marine Service Provider

Island Planet
Never seen Vektron, there is no Hood loft in NZ and haven't heard anything from the main cloth suppliers. I've seen some old elvstrom sails made from a product called sealar woven dyneema which had lasted exceptionally well but when I was at their factory in Denmark I asked about it and they said they hadn't done it for a few years.
Old 28-12-2012, 02:16   #35
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day to you and to Island Planet as well,

I wonder just about where you draw the line between your hypothetical "big boat"? Our main is about 62 M^2 and will be getting replaced n the near future. Old main is radial cut, "Wide Radial" Dacron, plied in the high stress areas and has now done 43K miles over 9 years. Still usable but getting some odd lumps at the join between plied and single layer. The price for radial Hydra seems outta sight, the laminates, while improving in durability, are still questionable for the abuse that we short handed cruisers deal out, and the load path sails are also pretty dear. What's a "performance cruiser" to do on a reasonable but not unlimited budget? The Vectran might be a possibility it seems, but I know little about it. Any comments?

Cheers and thanks

Jim
Jim

If you can't afford the Hydra, I would recommend going with a high quality heavy dacron with a lighter 2 ply of the same fabric on the leech. The only downside against hydra/laminates is the sail is heavier. Those are some pretty big radials on your old sail, my guess is cross cut might be better cheaper option, radial dacron tends to scallop between the panels when old. It would be interesting to see the sail now to access it.

Are you down in Tassie? We are currently sitting in Palau

Attached a pic of a 56sqm main built from challenge mablehead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EY43.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	51794  
Old 06-01-2013, 21:17   #36

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Cheers and thanks

Jim
That, Sir, is a deep 3rd reef!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:02   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
That, Sir, is a deep 3rd reef!
And I blush to think how many times we've used it, Patrick!

We don't have a trysail and depend on that 3d reef for heavy conditions. Works pretty well so far.

Our next main will have the first reef just a bit deeper... just enough to allow leaving both runners set. We seem to put the second reef in a lot just to enjoy that ability. So many tradeoffs in a yacht...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 07-01-2013, 02:11   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
Jim

If you can't afford the Hydra, I would recommend going with a high quality heavy dacron with a lighter 2 ply of the same fabric on the leech. The only downside against hydra/laminates is the sail is heavier. Those are some pretty big radials on your old sail, my guess is cross cut might be better cheaper option, radial dacron tends to scallop between the panels when old. It would be interesting to see the sail now to access it.

Are you down in Tassie? We are currently sitting in Palau

Attached a pic of a 56sqm main built from challenge mablehead.
Thanks for those thoughts! OUr current main hasn't developed scallops, but as I said, there is a discontinuity of shape at the join between the plied and single layer panels. Disappears when reefed FWIW. This sail has a lot of miles on it, and has been shamelessly abused (blush) and is still quite usable, so I'm not turned off of radial construction.

So many options... I remember when buying a sail was easy!

And yes, we arrived here in Cygnet on Xmas eve and will leave someday soon (I guess). Only plan is having volunteered to help out at the Wooden Boat Festival, I guess we'll sail uip to Hobart at some point... before early February.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
cruising, mainsail