Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2022, 18:59   #1

Mainsheet track

Hi,
My 37ft Van de Stadt has the mainsheet track across the cockpit seat in front of the pedestal steering, thinking of removing and installing a pad eye in front of pedestal to connect control block with cam. Question is will this be ok to control mainsheet?
Thanks
Forna396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 21:37   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Mainsheet track

You will loose the ability to ease the traveler down to unload the main, something quite useful IMO. Also if you do it, be sure that the cockpit sole in way of the pad eye is actually strong enough to take the vertical loads... most are not, being designed to take the loads from a few folks standing on it. The mainsheet can develop some impressive loads going to windward.

Jim
Old 14-01-2022, 21:52   #3

I am in final stage of building so no problem in reinforcing the cockpit sole. I am in two minds on what to do. The yacht will be used for cruising and to have no mainsheet track across cockpit seats will be much nicer and not in the way.

Thanks for your reply
Old 15-01-2022, 09:08   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Not having a traveler will impact the trim of the main - how tight the leech is, in particular. You may want to boost the boom vang in order to be able to adjust the leech while reaching.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 09:29   #5

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

On utube you have vid’s of “Old Seadog”. He had the same setup as you on his vd Stadt boat and solved it by having 2 mainsheets, one Port one SB. Worth considering?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 09:30   #6

For a cruiser I dont see it as a huge thing having single point mainsheet location.. and many boats were built that way. The main automatically unloads itself in a puff a bit by lifting.
Having a traveler allows you to have the boom to the lee side and the main tight, which is great for racing, but maybe not so great for cruising.
Frankly, I lived 95% of the time with never moving the mainsheet on the traveler. Pretty much as you are proposing.
The traveler, especially located in the cockpit, is short and doesn't go far enough anyway.
If I really wanted the boom down to the lee and tight I used a 4 part tackle to the toerail.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 10:45   #7

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

OP you need to take account of how much you use the traveller (NZ spelling) yourself. If it's not something you use certainly makes your decision simpler.
Old 15-01-2022, 11:08   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Traveler controls angle of attack of mainsail when sailing to windward. An essential control if you care even a little about sailing. I wouldn't be without it personally.

That being said, I did sail on one big racing Swan without a vang. It had an immensely powerful hydraulic vang to completely control leech tension, allowing mainsheet to control angle of attack. But the pro crew hated it; you couldn't haul the boom to windward for example.

YMMV, but I personally would never give up the traveler.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 11:18   #9

Boat: Najad 373

Apart from sailing close-hauled in very light wind, in which the traveller can move the boom to the centreline without tightening the main, I would think a good bang can mitigate the lack of traveller, especially when cruising offshore. It is when you have a leeshore that you would really want all options to allow the right pointing.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 11:41   #10

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forna396 View Post
Hi,
My 37ft Van de Stadt has the mainsheet track across the cockpit seat in front of the pedestal steering, thinking of removing and installing a pad eye in front of pedestal to connect control block with cam. Question is will this be ok to control mainsheet?
Thanks
How is your mainsheet rigged - mid or end-boom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebramar View Post
Apart from sailing close-hauled in very light wind, in which the traveller can move the boom to the centreline without tightening the main, I would think a good bang can mitigate the lack of traveller, especially when cruising offshore. It is when you have a leeshore that you would really want all options to allow the right pointing.
A good bang is the bad sound of an accidental jibe

I am sure you meant a "a good vang" and I agree.

My mainsheet is end-boom, I removed my mainsheet track and replaced by a single line going to a double block on port, a triple on the boom and a fiddle on starboard (4 to 1 purchase). I appreciate the space vacated by the track and as far as trimming is concerned, a 3 or 4 foot mainsheet track would not make much of a difference on boom angle as compared to my actual setup. The only drawback is the amount of extra line I have to deal with, which I don't mind.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 14:29   #11

Hi
My mainsheet is rigged at the end-boom.

Thanks for the replies, very helpfu.
Old 06-02-2022, 17:45   #12

Hi,

There is a new YouTube blog out, White spot pirates explaining her new mainsheet system she made. I like the idea and will free up the cockpit.
Thanks
Old 06-02-2022, 18:54   #13

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Hi,

There is a new YouTube blog out, White spot pirates explaining her new mainsheet system she made. I like the idea and will free up the cockpit.
Thanks
Forna I have some doubts that Nike of White Spot Pirates made the best choice in adding a 'soft' traveller to Karl. I've exactly the same type of boat, (German designed and built Reinke Super 10) and my boat is fitted with a traditional 'hard' traveller. It sits just behind the rear companionway. The rear companionway leads to a rear cabin with two berths, rather than a tunnel through the boat in most centre cockpits..

Advantages, that I suspect motivated Nike's choice, is first that it was a very inexpensive option. Secondly it can easily be tucked out of the way when at anchor. That's especially useful because the easiest access from a dinghy up on to a Reinke Super 10 is via the transom. And so it's easy to trip on the traveller.
Old 06-02-2022, 19:54   #14

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks
Keep the traveler. It is invaluable controlling weather helm. It also can be a real addition to boat speed when going to weather or close reaching because letting down the traveler moves the force of the main more forward and less sideways. If you are worried about the traveler car moving across from side to side, lock it off with traveler control lines or sliding locks.

Moving the boom by adjusting the traveler is easy and instant, much better than fiddling with two mainsheets or than going without.
Old 07-02-2022, 03:17   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Keep the traveler. It is invaluable controlling weather helm. It also can be a real addition to boat speed when going to weather or close reaching because letting down the traveler moves the force of the main more forward and less sideways. If you are worried about the traveler car moving across from side to side, lock it off with traveler control lines or sliding locks.

Moving the boom by adjusting the traveler is easy and instant, much better than fiddling with two mainsheets or than going without.
Yes very true, thanks.