Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2009, 06:47   #16

Boat: contessa 32
Hi all ,they are a significant improv on my lewmar 44, but work best with properly sized lines ,even so they are a significant improv at low cost ,but still quite aways short of a self tailing winch which would cost 100x more.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 21:12   #17

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
there was a guy that was selling a very good self tailing conversion ,his website is www.solar4u.com,he doesnt have it on his website anymore so you may need to contact him to see if he still makes them.This was a real self tailer that works quite differently to the standard ones .
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 06:32   #18

Boat: Morgan, 30-1
Re: Make a Winch Self-Tailing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
There is a home-built alternative to buying the Winchers. Just take some 1/2" ID (or larger) vinyl water hose and cut it to the circumference of the winch drum. Make it into a coit (sew 1/2" rope inside to joint the ends), soften it in hot water and slip it over the top of the winch.
I used this arrangement for several years on a 29' boat and it held the sheet while I cranked the winch. Just like the Wincher, it is a snubber not a tailer. When tacking it was of little value, but when adjusting the sheet under load it allowed me crank in a few inches until the sail trim looked right then take up the tail slack on the cleat.
After a couple of seasons the sun got to the vinyl hose and I cut them off. Although they worked I didn't bother to replace them. The Winchers would probably hold up in the sun much better. Back then (1970s) they wanted about $50 for a pair of Winchers, my alternative came out of my spare parts bin.

John
Hey John, do you have an pictures of this?
allanbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 09:24   #19

Boat: Swan 432

There used to be a guy in Australia who would refurbish old winches and change them to self-tailing. IIRC the cost savings was 1/2 of buying a new winch. I do not have a name for him though.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 09:28   #20

Boat: Swan 432

Now that I think about it I may have gotten the guy's name from this forum:

S&S Swan Association Forum
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
self tailing