Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 10:47   #1

Mariner 28 (Canning) DIY Standing Rigging

Hey Guys,

I'm somehow delayed in my efforts to prep my mast to be stepped for a timely launch. I posted on this topic a week or so ago, and received great information, however, I do realize that I still need additional information to move forward - trying to ascertain the actual size of my standing rigging wire cable; even with the use of my caliper, I've been unable to pull trigger on procuring replacement parts. My confusion is directly attributable to the different systems of measurements used for the rigging steel wire cables and fittings.

Anyway, I'm slowly getting the hang of things...I think I'm now settled that the rigging in question is actually equipped with 3/16th of an inch wire cables...now, for the fittings; they mostly consist of swaged eyes and swaged bolt ( turn-buckle) with lower bolt (turn buckle) terminated into a toggle on the bottom of the turn buckle bolt (See pics). I have a total of seven stays plus one to make the eighth, in which, I believe to be built into the furling head sail system.

Question #1:I intend to use Sta-Lok or equivalent replacement fittings, and will replace all ( including turnbuckles); how do I ensure I get to correct replacement fittings?
Attachment 226315

Attachment 226316

Attachment 226317

Attachment 226318

Attachment 226319

Attachment 226320

Question #2: Also, need to properly identify the two steel cables (1/8th and 3/16th) that come out of the top of mast; seem to have to do with the sails, but not sure. What are the purpose of these cables, and how should I service these - the rope at the lower end of the mast will definitely need to be replace? (see pics)

Question #3: There is a hole in the side of the mast located near top, anyone have an idea what may have been the purpose of this hole?

George

Any local Elmo available?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mariner 28 mast head 2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	472.8 KB
ID:	226327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mariner 28 Mast and Genoa.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	448.1 KB
ID:	226329